Thread: RAMC

melsibob

Default RAMC

I have discovered that a relative was in the RAMC circa 1900- he also played cornet in their band. Does anyone know where could I find details of his service record?

His name was Walter Page, born 1865 - he grew up in Manchester area.

uksearch

I had a quick squint at the GRO, and I could not find a Walter PAGE who was born in the Manchester area in 1865. As per lancsbmd there were two born in Ardwick, one in 1863 and the other in 1869, but only the later seems to have survived until the 1871 Census and he was Walter Stephen PAGE.

UK

melsibob

Default RAMC

Sorry if I misled you - he was actually born in Cheltenham - but was brought up in the Manchester area - Chorlton I think. At some point after 1900 he moved to Lincolnshire. It is his career in the RAMC that I am particularly trying to uncover.

uksearch

Yes, I realised that. I was trying to find him as a WWI pensioner and could see none from the Manchester area. I can't see any from Cheltenham either. Just a wild thought...he didn't by any chance attend the Manchester Certified Industrial School? Many young boys were sent from there into the services to train as musicians.

UK

melsibob

Oh I see - thanks! The only things I know about him is that he was a french polisher, he had ten children and his wife died in child birth in 1913. I find it interesting that he played a musical instrument - this does not seem to be a talent developed by any other family member! He was one of 10 children his father was also a french polisher/cabinet maker - I don't imagine there was too much money around for music lessons

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by melsibob View Post
    I have discovered that a relative was in the RAMC circa 1900- he also played cornet in their band. Does anyone know where could I find details of his service record?

His name was Walter Page, born 1865 - he grew up in Manchester area.
    The National Archives (TNA) has many research guides to assist - from the home page of their web-site, look across to the left and you'll see a heading 'Military History' - click on 'British Army' and follow things from there. What you might find depends on when he left the army.

TNA has loads of research guides which may help you in other matters of family history. Click on here to find them.

melsibob

Thanks - I will try - I tend not to get on well with this site - I go round in circles - but here goes.

boys

Default re ramc

Hi in reply to your search for details of Walter Page ,RAMC.Do have a look at casus belli .co.uk military history and medals.It gives W, A Page as being in the Ramc in the Boer War in 1900.It also give a service no of 15696.The medal record is available online for about £3.50.<free register and login>

melsibob

Default RAMC

Excellent - thanks for your help. I will check this out now!

melsibob

Default RAMC

I accesed this site - and paid £5.00 to view the record. This confirmed the details provided above and provided me with the Roll number 219 page 0. Having got this information I am not sure where next to go in order to get further detail - can anybody help?