dcwilkes

Default Who Was Elizabeth Hall and William Tymms

Elizabeth Hall married William Tymms in Brize Norton in the year 1800.

They went on to produce a daughter Rachel born 4 October 1807.

Any information about Elizabeth or her husband William would be most welcome.

birdlip

Hi there

I think you can safely say Rachael wasn't an only child. IGI Family Search gives a total of 29 children baptised with parents William and Elizabeth Tymms/Timms at Brize Norton between 1801 and 1841! Its JUST possible they all belong to your couple, but she would have to've been VERY young when she married, 15 or 16 perhaps. Some may have been twins. Sometimes there were two or three baptisms in one year, but remember these are baptism dates, not birth dates. e.g in 1812, we have Catherine and George baptised on 08 Sep, but in this instance they give Georges birth date as well, and it's 27 Mar 1811. Then there's James baptised on 22 Nov 1812 though. If its the same couple, why wouldn't they wait and do all three at once?

Unfortunately, I think its much more likely there were two couples called Wm and Eliz Tymms having children in the same village and their families overlapped, which is going to make it difficult to unravel which are yours!

regards birdlip

Pennie

Hi Don ...

Have been doing a little more "digging" in the Brize Norton PRs for you!

There were, in fact, three instances of a William TIMMS/TYMMS marrying an Elizabeth:

1800 - William TIMMS and Elizabeth HALL
    1808 - William TIMMS (widower) and Elizabeth AKERS*
    1836 - William TIMMS and Elizabeth NUNNEY

* married a Catherine in 1796 (who died in 1807)

These are the TIMMS baptisms which are recorded between 1800 and 1807 (which we can probably safely assume are the offspring of TIMMS/HALL:

04 JUN 1801 - Francis TIMMS
    15 AUG 1802 - Thos. TIMMS
    ?? FEB 1805 - Frances TIMMS
    04 OCT 1807 - Rachel TYMMS

Looking at the 1841 census, there are three family groups in Brize Norton headed by William and Elizabeth TIMMS/TYMMS (in all cases the surname has been mistranscribed as SIMMS/SYMMS!):

William TYMMS 61 (Stonemason)
    Elizabeth TYMMS 49
    Samuel TYMMS 25
    William TYMMS 20
    Edmund TYMMS 16
    James TYMMS 14
    Charles TYMMS 12
    Edwin TYMMS 9
    Ellen TYMMS 8

William TYMMS 65 (Stonemason)
    Elizabeth TYMMS 55
    (no-one else recorded in the household)

William TYMMS 25 (Stonemason)
    Elizabeth TYMMS 25
    Emmeline TYMMS 4
    Eliza TYMMS 2
    Miranda TYMMS 6 mths

I think it's fairly obvious that the last family group is TIMMS/NUNNEY (who married in 1836), bearing in mind the age of the eldest child.

(CONTINUED ON NEXT POST)

Pennie

Sorry, didn't mean to leave you with a "cliffhanger" but have just realised how late it is! Will be back with the next "thrilling instalment" tomorrow ...

Pennie

dcwilkes

Default Hi Pennie and Birdlip

Super. I have had the name Rachel for a long time and only found her name family name of Tymms recently. Rachel is my Gt X 3 Grandmother married to Philip Dipper (marriage 1827 Brize Norton). I have tracked Rachel to william Tymms and Elizabeth Hall but that is where I got stuck. The Dipper line is not a problem but any info about Rachels parentage would be brilliant.

Pennie

Don ...

My apologies - I was unexpectedly out until mid evening today, so have not had a chance to progress things further. Will try and conclude my findings tomorrow morning!

Pennie

Pennie

Hi Don ...

I have now finished my "investigations", but - unfortunately - without being able to draw any firm conclusions.

Moving on to the 1851 census, I found the following two households at Brize Norton:

William TIMMS 75
    Elizabeth TIMMS 60
    Stephen 30 (son)
    Charles 22 (son)
    Edwin 19 (son)
    all born at Brize Norton

Elizabeth TIMMS 60 (widow) born at Brize Norton

Annoying, this gives us two Elizabeth TIMMS's, both born in Brize Norton c1791!

I couldn't see a baptism for Elizabeth HALL at BN, but did find one for Elizabeth AKERS in 1791 - but I don't see how we can tell which is which.

Have I missed anything - can you work it out???

Pennie

dcwilkes

Default Hi Pennie

I think a birthdate of 1791 is compatible even if it is common to both Elizabeths. So there IS something useful. As for William? He could have come from a veriety of villages in the surrounding area or even farther afield. I have found far too many Williams of that age group to be able to narrow them down. I have sent you a private message.

mick cooper

Hiya Don & Pennie
    I have just seen these postings from 2008. Some excellent work here, congratulations to you both on this problem which has also concerned a couple of us down two the branches of the Tymms trees.
    I am particularly interested in the William Tymms who I believe married Catharine Lord in 1796 and then, after she died in 1807, Elizabeth Akers in 1808. The messages seem to confirm this. I am also interested in the William who married Elizabeth Hall in 1800 as it would be amazing if they were not related. Does anyone have the specific details of three three marriages please?

Is there anything that confirms that the William who married Elizabeth Akers is indeed the widower of Catherine?

Did anyone finally manage to separate all the children? A descendant of Ellen 1833 believes that she was the 10th and last child of William & Elizabeth Akers. (This does not include any who died along the way). I am not sure if she has the precise confirmation of the mother and I am checking this, and also who the other two children are. If this is correct, then this would position 8 - 10 of the children with this couple.

Does anyone have any precise information regarding the deaths of the two elder Williams & Elizabeths? or any later census information on them or their children?

I will be extremely grateful to hear further, any help will be most appreciated.

Thank you very much

Mick