Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    mykin

Smile Partridge, Alderdice,Boomer

Does anyone have any of the above names in your tree? Mine seem to be centered around the Derriaghy area in Antrim.

Mary Anne

Default BOOMERs

Hi, doe, I have some BOOMERs from County Antrim in my husband's tree.

Michael Boomer, b. 1 Jan. 1810, Lambeg?, County Antrim. His mother was supposed to have been Mary Knox, who claimed descent from John Knox; his father, George BOOMER, was said to have been of Huguenot descent. I believe Michael was eldest of three brothers. Certainly he is the one I know most about just now. After attending school at the Royal Academical Institution in Belfast, he graduated with both Bachelor and Masters of Arts from Trinity College, Dublin. He emigrated to Canada in 1840 and was ordained Deacon by Bishop Strachan that same year at St. James' Cathedral Church, Toronto. Later he was Rector at Galt, became Dean of St. Paul's, London, Ontario and also was Dean of Huron and Principal of Huron College (School of Theology) at London, Ontario. Michael married Helen Selena Adams in Galt, and they had four children before Michael died in Canada around 1888.

His two brothers, Anthony and George, also born in County Antrim, both emigrated to Canada and, as I said, served as Anglican Ministers in the Toronto area. I don't know anything more of these two than this at this point.

Do these BOOMERs sound familiar to you?

Mary Anne

mykin

Smile BOOMERS

Hi Mary Anne, Thank you for your reply. I am just discovering my grandfathers connection to this name. The story that has been passed down over all the years never veried far from what I read about the Huguenots. My grandfather was Boomer Partridge from Derrighy/Antrim. I am told that he repeated the story over and over about how they got to Ireland. It has been passed down through all of the generations,it is that the family was living in Germany after they were kicked out of France for being Protestant. At the time of war when King William was in charge, a call went out for all of these people to come and fight for him and they were promised land when it was all over. After I did some reading about it, I can connect the story but haven't researched that far back yet.His first name was Boomer I would say because The mother was a Boomer and took her husbands name. This is so exciting,but one couldn't do much until lately with all the information available on computers. Was the Boomer name carried down in your husbands family? Ours went from my grandfather , to his son, to his grandson. I daresay it will probably be dropped after that.I am keeping your email for future use and hope that anything you find out you will be in touch, as will I. I am impressed with the dedication of your Boomers. nice tree! In the new year, I'll see what I can find on Michael's brothers, if you like. doe

Mary Anne

Default BOOMERs

doe

Well, that is cool. I wonder if there is a connection? No, the BOOMER name never was carried down when the female BOOMERs married. (at least as far as I know) I am just starting to research my husband's line, so I have not a lot on these folks except what was in a family history that was written some time in the 1970s, but never published. And that is why I have so little on the ones that are not in the direct line.

Here, FYI, is the reference about the Huguenot ancestor "Michael's father, George Boomer (1781-1844) was descended from Rene Bulmer, a French Protestant blacksmith, one of the Huguenots driven out of France by Louis XIV in 1685."

I will also keep your info in mind for future reference, in case we turn up anything. If you happened to come across any info on the brothers, I would be most grateful. I am unlikely to get into that branch much in the near future.

Paul Kell

Default Boomer Family Northern Ireland

Hi,my name is Paul Kell from Barrow-in-Furness,Cumbria,England.I am looking for ANY of my BOOMER descendants based in Canada.I have the BOOMER family a long way back in my tree-which can be accessed at Genes Reunited with my permission.I have them in the County Down area as far back as 1813-for definite,but due to a lot of TOTALLY false information put on the internet-mainly by one man,some people have them all over the place.ALL my details have been checked & verified personally.My Canadian BOOMERS stem from Barrow-in-Furness originally.William Boomer-son of James Boomer & Elizabeth Parish,was born in Barrow-in-Furness in 1880,the family having moved from Donaghadee,County Down,Northern Ireland c1874-75.He was born on the 29th July.He grew up to be a blacksmith like all his 3-at least,previous generations.He was baptised at the New Connexion Church on Abbey Road in Barrow-in-Furness on 29/08/1880.On the 1901 census he is at 18,Fenton Street,Barrow-a street occupied by a number of Boomer family.He is there with his wife-Elizabeth(nee Parkins)They had married in the December quarter of 1900,also at the New Connexion Church.They & their children emigrated to Canada AFTER 1905.They had,AT LEAST 3 children with them-all born in Barrow-in-Furness.Elizabeth was born c1901,Marian HOPE boomer was born in 1903,at 43,Back Dalton Road,Barrow & her brother James NICHOLSON Boomer was born in 1905.I THINK they settled in the Montreal area of Canada as I can remember as a youngster seeing letters/postcards from a place called St.-------.I would love to hear off anyone with any info.I have evidence to suggest that another member of the Boomer family-Agnes,who had married a JACKSON also emigrated to Canada.ANY info much appreciated.

mykin

Default Boomers

Hi Paul, I think that this most interesting, the name Boomer. The story on my fathers side has been passed down from generation to generation. It was back on the Partridge side that there is always a Boomer listed. If one died in the family the next one was always called Boomer. The family originated in Germany and was asked by King William of Orange to come to N.Ireland to fight for him and they were promised land.
    The story never connected to me until last year when I put 2 and 2 together. I am still tracing the Partridge line, but somewhere there is the name change to Boomer.
    My grandfather was Boomer Partridge from Derriaghy Co. Antrim N. Ireland. There seems to be a lot of Boomers there. By my grandfather having Boomer for his first name,means that the mother was a Boomer. I have two people in N.I.that I have to phone. One is an elderly lady who's maiden name was Boomer, but I have been sick for a while and haven't got to it.Grandfather Boomer named his third son Boomer. They were both from Ontario Canada.

Paul Kell

Default Boomers

Thank you so much for your time & trouble.I have had another reply that has given me 3 addresses in the Quebec area & one of the addresses-3417,Melrose Avenue,Montreal,Quebec is a DEFINITE !!! It is actually the address written on the back of one of the postcards I have,sent from St.----.This is brilliant news,I cannot thank you both enough.PLEASE keep me posted,as I will with you.Best wishes,Paul Kell.

mykin

Default Boomers

Hi Paul,
    It is thrilling for everyone involved when there is a "connection." Somewhere down the line when we get to the Huguenot stage, there has to be a connection between us "Boomers." This is so exciting, it would be nice if the records had been kept better. So many stories must have died with the Huguenots that were all expelled from France. Keep in touch, Paul. doe

Mary Anne

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kell View Post
    Thank you so much for your time & trouble.I have had another reply that has given me 3 addresses in the Quebec area & one of the addresses-3417,Melrose Avenue,Montreal,Quebec is a DEFINITE !!! It is actually the address written on the back of one of the postcards I have,sent from St.----.This is brilliant news,I cannot thank you both enough.PLEASE keep me posted,as I will with you.Best wishes,Paul Kell.
    Great news, Paul! Good luck with your search. If I can suggest any additional resources in Québec (its records are a bit diffcult to navigate) let me know...you may wish to have a look at Québec online sources at the pinned note on Canadian resources in the Canadian Genealogy part of the forum.

Indeed, doe/canada, wouldn't it be great if we could connect all these folks together back to France!?

Mary Anne

Paul Kell

Default Boomers Quebec Montreal

I have just found another old postcard with the address:115,Merton Avenue,ST.LAMBERT-which must of been the place I had remembered,Montreal,Quebec,Canada.It was signed from Bet & Ken.So,I,ve just got to try & find anythat knows them/knew them.I don,t know if it would be a Kenneth Boomer or Elizabeth Boomer -or either,it could be someone completely different.They must of been on holiday just prior to sending card as it mentioned Florida !!! Alright for some-here,s us stuck in sunny Barrow-in-Furness.
    What made me start all this recent research on the Boomers in Canada was this.My father has just come back off holiday to Canada.He loved it ,but liked Montreal & Toronto in particular.He,s 72 now & on returning said " Wouldn,t it of been great if I could of found out where those bloody Boomers lived !!!" I made myself a promise-I,m gonna find them,& with help from some lovely people like yourself,I WILL !!! Best wishes,Paul.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast