Harfink

Default That's no lady, she is . . . .?

Amongst my mothers papers we found the attched photograph. Its around 1" square and on the reverse appears the following printed text:
    " quote the" on one line and "mber whe" on the next.

Mum was born in 1903 and died in 1983. She was brought up in the Hackney area in London. She would have been a teenager by the end of WW1. She didnt marry until she was 30. She worked at Clarnico's I think at some stage in her life, possibly when she was in her 20's, and used to go on day trips with her workmates.

The photo looks like a "give-away" fan photo wotsit, and is in black and white.

I have checked with my cousins and no-one has any idea who this is and it doesn't look like any other person from our combined family photo albums.

It does bear an uncanny resemblance to the well known ex PM Lady Thatcher, but the lady in the photo would appear to predate her by quite a few years.

Does anyone recognise her as an actress / music-hall / vaudeville / singer / ??around the 1920's to 30's?
    Last edited by Harfink; 11-08-2006 at 10:06 AM.

Harfink

Default The Photo

I have now put the photo on the photobucket website as I couldn't actually see the image I posted here - and I am assuming from other threads that no-one else could either!
    Alan

https://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...dy_low_res.jpg

By the hair and the fur tippet I would think it was taken in the 1930s. I don't think it is an actor because they would give you a threequarter face in a publicity portrait and not a full profile - just my opinion - from what you have said about the days out I would think that this was one of a series of pictures taken during a day trip and the person wrote "Do you remember" on the back and then the strip was cut up and given to differnet people

Just my four pennorth of thoughts

Ann
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Harfink

Default mmmmmmmm . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis
    from what you have said about the days out I would think that this was one of a series of pictures taken during a day trip and the person wrote "Do you remember" on the back and then the strip was cut up and given to differnet people
    Ann
    Thanks for the thoughts Ann. Perhaps I should have made it clear that the legend on the back was printed not written. It looks like the image was (cut) from a large sheet of similar photos. It certainly looks nothing like any of my "known" relations, and I don't think the style of dress is quite that of my mother's family they being working class folk from the east end of London.

So it probably said "please quote the reference number when re-ordering"

She certainly looks as though she is dressing a step up from our ordinary ancestors although the fur tippet was something worn by just about every woman at some point during the first part of the 20th century - even those "ladies of the night" would wear one to make themselves look fashionable.

I am just rambling here trying to think of somewhere to look for answers.

Ann
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Frank W

The photo may have been from a multiple image sheet produced by the Polyfoto firm.

There is a blog with sample at
    https://blogs.salon.com/0004217/2004/12/08.html

The text includes the following:
    Hopefully as time goes on we become better with photo technicalities and record more memories than our parents could... after all, we've got darkrooms or computers and the equipment to preserve our past whereas many of our parents had to make do with the local Polyfoto Studio and its reorder forms. Of course the Polyfoto chain disappeared many years ago and with it the many millions of negatives that held our smiling, crying, laughing or scowling faces (see above contact sheet of 48 images of me aged five or six).

Regards......Frank W

Harfink

Quote Originally Posted by Frank W
    see above contact sheet of 48 images of me aged five or six
    Regards......Frank W
    Frank - what a cute wee lad you were back then!

The lady in my photo looks rather austere, and I still think she looks too "grand" to be a relation!

Regards
    Alan

Frank W

Quote Originally Posted by Harfink
    Frank - what a cute wee lad you were back then!
    Alan
    Well that may have been true, but its a photo of the Blogger, and not of me !
    Regards............Frank W

janieg

Hi janie here,
    Just a thought but if it was a polyfoto perhaps the writing on the back was asking you to quote the photo number when ordering the larger size?

MythicalMarian

Quote Originally Posted by Harfink View Post

Does anyone recognise her as an actress / music-hall / vaudeville / singer / ??around the 1920's to 30's?
    Late in the thread, I know - and perhaps this has been sorted out, but this lady looks incredibly like Dame Sybil Thorndike, the actress, to me. I had a quick look over at Google Images to see if I could spot a duplicate, but one or two of Sybil in profile in the early 20s/30s does bear a resemblance. I thought 'Sybil Thorndike' as soon as I saw it. In fact, I'd bet a few pence on it!