Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Waterloo

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by redbert
    Thanks goeffers Yes i have WO/97/78 for James King which informs me he was discharged in 1850 in LONGFORD Ireland due to a injury to his hand, sorry once again to pester you, but if he was disharged, would it be safe to assume he was granted a PENSION
    Not necessarily, have a look at TNA's guide on pensions

is the WO/97 file the only indicater of J/K's service/record !!!!, are there any other records !!!!!
    It's the main source, secondary sources include the musters, pay lists and description books. Musters and pay lists are mostly held at TNA in document class WO12.

Description books at TNA are in WO25 - not all soldiers are recorded but where they are you get description, age, place of birth, trade. A similar series for recruits exists in Depot Description Books (TNA class WO67)

is it possible as being the BANDMASTER for the 5th D/G's he could have been kept on employed as a Civilian/Musician by the Officers !!!!!
    as i find 3 of his children are born in Irish Garrison Towns after his discharge
    It's quite possible that he had some continuing conenction with the army, but in a civilian capacity.

in 1851, e,g. 1851 1 in LONGFORD. 1853 1 in Ballinlog Cork 1857
    Would that be Ballincollig? There was a very large gunpowder factory there. (Use a search engine to look for 'Ballincollig Royal Gunpowder Mills').

Going back to your earlier query from a couple of days ago, if you think it a possibility that James KING was born to an army family, you might try searching the index to regimental registers of births 1761-1924, and the Army Chaplains returns of births 1796-1880 to see if his birth was registered - the regimental registers are the most likely to find a hit. They are available on many pay-per-view sites.

redbert

Default James King

Hello Geoff, long time since i have made contact, concerning JAMES KING
    Bandmaster 5 th Dragoon Guards,
    Since my last post i have found some interesting facts, that i wish you to comment on, as i value your opinions.

As i have stated i was unable to establish JAMES KING Bith details, as i was led to understand his Birth records were possibly distroyed in DUBLIN !!!!

I have the Attestation Papers for the 2 WILLIAM KING's in the 23rd Light/Dragoons, both were born in WESTBURY Bucks, but what is more interesting is the Papers state that both were enlisted into the ROYAL STAFF CORPS in 1817 (the very Regiment JAMES KING was serving with !!!!) now the point is, is this merely a coincedence????? or could this fact point to them being from the same FAMILY !!!!!!
    I have also discoverd by way of the MUSTER records the WILLIAM snr was in DUBLIN up to APRIL 1809 (which is the year JAMES was born) !!!!!! & Quarterly Pay Lists from Dec 1808 to 25th April 1809 !!!!!, it states William being a Trumpeter !!!!!

I know this does not 100% prove WILLIAM was JAMES's Father, but the possability, must be more that just a mere coincednce, that all 3 are TRUMPETERs, i would welcome your thoughts on this, do you think i am being to optomistic, Thanks Redbert

redbert

Default James King

Hello geoffers did you have a chance to read my message on the board 24th 10-09 would be grateful for any comments Thanks redbert

Geoffers

The correlation of facts seems to point towards some relationship - but the problem is none of this proves it, or identifies how they are related.

It might be useful at this point to summarise through these three generations what you can prove and what theory you now hold and need to prove. This might help to put everything in order in your own mind and for anyone new to the forums who may be able to assist.

I cannot remember offhand but did ou searfch the regimental registers and army chaplains returns to look for army births in Dublin? Also, did you have any luck with wills?

redbert

Default 23rd light dragoons

Hi geoffers sorry not to relpy sooner, had a few days away. I had no luck with the WILL issue, none that i could find, forgive my ignorance but where might i find Regimental Register's or the Chaplains returns, are they held at KEW

I think i have pointed out i could not find any Birth/cert/baptism records in DUBLIN, for James King, as i am led to beleive his records could have been destroyed in a Fire in 1922 !!!!!! i spent 10 days in dublin & found nothing !!!
    even with the help of Irish/Dublin archivist's Redbert

Geoffers would you know were Trumpeters soley Cavalry, & Drummers Infantry

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by redbert
    forgive my ignorance but where might i find Regimental Register's or the Chaplains returns, are they held at KEW
    They can be searched online on pay-per-view sites - e.g. findmypast, TheGenealogist, etc.

The indices are usually also available on fiches at county record offices

redbert

Cheers Geoffers, will try F/M/Past redbert

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567