Hils Hoppo

Exclamation Upper Matilda Place Bermondsey

Can anyone tell whereabouts Upper Matilda Place in Bermondsey around 1841was? I've spent ages looking at an old OS map until my eyes hurt!

Mutley

I cannot find it on the Post Office Directory of London 1851, with or without Upper.

However, if you google it comes up in gendocs but I do not know how to access their maps.

It also comes up on the Charles Booth Online Archive (without the Upper)
    Booth B364 pg 85, Location Number 3, 533379, 179593
    Nearby Streets are:
    Sarnell's Court, Charles Street, Artillery Lane, Tanner Street, Matilda Place, Queen's Place

There are other Matilda Places mentioned but the above is Bermondsey.

Hope it helps.

Hils Hoppo

Thanks Mutley!

QueSera

Default Matilda Place, Bermondsey

Quote Originally Posted by Hils Hoppo View Post
    Can anyone tell whereabouts Upper Matilda Place in Bermondsey around 1841was? I've spent ages looking at an old OS map until my eyes hurt!
    On the 1897 OS map, Matilda Place is a litte terrace/dead end street off of Russell Street (later renamed Tanner St) right up against the railway arches on the north side. By the time of the 1894 map the houses have disappeared and the name not marked on the map.

These days it is covered by Druid Street.

Regards
    QueSera

QueSera

Default Another Matilda Place in Bermondsey!

Looking at the 1872 OS Map, I have just come across another Matilda Place, then located off of Sailbury Place which in turn was off of Salisbury Street. Salisbury Street is now named Wilson Grove and is across the road from Bermondsey tube station.

By the time of the 1914 OS Map, Matilda Place had been re-named Warford Place and is crossed by Emba Street. Matilda Place/ Warford Place intersected where no 3 stands and between numbers 32 &34 in today's Emba Place.

(research helped with the use of Southwark Councils on-line map archive: https://maps.southwark.gov.uk/connect...ltip=Hist_tips)

The Old Justice public house is just around the corner with views over the Thames.

PS: correction to the previous post (above), that Malilda Place is shown on the1872 OS Map, not the 1897!
    Last edited by QueSera; 13-03-2012 at 2:19 PM. Reason: added PS

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by QueSera View Post
    Looking at the 1872 OS Map, I have just come across another Matilda Place, then located off of Sailbury Place which in turn was off of Salisbury Street. Salisbury Street is now named Wilson Grove and is across the road from Bermondsey tube station.
    I’ve been idly wondering why it may have been called Upper Matilda Place and it’s possibly because it’s that part of the street to the north of Well Street.

There’s a very good 1862 map here> https://www.
    motco.com/map/81006/

Click on ‘Overview Maps’ and then click on the Bermondsey map (3rd column, 3rd square down) – click on the south bank of the Thames opposite London Docks and Salisbury Street runs down from Fountain Stairs. Matilda Place is very clearly shown just to the west of Salisbury Street.