Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lynda Marie

Default I've lost Walter

Walter Huggett came to Canada as a Home Child in June of 1891. I found him on the ships manifest and know that he was 14 and bound for Stratford with Mrs. Birt. Two of his sisters came to Canada as Home Children in July of 1892. I found them on the ships manifest and know they were bound for Miss Macpherson's home in Stratford. I have found the two sisters in the 1901 Canadian census in Perth South but I can not find Walter. I would really like to know where he went from the Macpherson home in Stratford and where he was in 1901 and 1911. Walter was in touch with his sisters as late as 1896 (I have primary source documents to back that up). I would also like to find out where the two girls were sent as 'domestics'.

I would sincerely appreciate any help. Thank you in advance
    Lynda

IanBrowness

Smile Re: I've Lost Walter (Huggett)

A Walter Huggett aged 35, born in England and the son of Robert Huggett of England ["Robert" may be a guess as no name at all is recorded for his mother], died in Ontario on 04Jan1913. He was single and a farmer in York County [Toronto area, place name looks like "Weston"]. As his age (35) could be just an "estimate to the nearest five years", it sounds like he may be your man (?) Can't see an unmarried Walter of the same age in either census, but the writing on Canadian census forms is typically abyssmal. Good Luck!

Lynda Marie

Thank you Ian. That does sound like my Walter. His father was Robert who died in 1891 (the reason for Walter's trip to Canada at 14, I assume). May I ask how and where you found that information? I have tried to search through the census information with no luck.

Again, thank you,
    Lynda

Keewatin

Hi there
    They are on the 1901 cesus at automatedgenealogy.com mistranscribed as Haggert
    I found them by clicking on Ontario then Perth south and then the surname listing for Perth South and choosing the most likely one
    https://automatedgenealogy.com/census...districtId=105

Btw the ppv site that many people use has the surname transcribed correctly!

Family was together
    Keewatin
    Last edited by Keewatin; 08-01-2008 at 6:54 PM. Reason: Pert is Perth

Keewatin

Here are Martha and Lucy on the 1911 at Weston York Centre
    https://automatedgenealogy.com/census...districtId=136

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Lynda Marie View Post
    Walter Huggett came to Canada as a Home Child in June of 1891. I found him on the ships manifest and know that he was 14 and bound for Stratford with Mrs. Birt. Two of his sisters came to Canada as Home Children in July of 1892. I found them on the ships manifest and know they were bound for Miss Macpherson's home in Stratford. I have found the two sisters in the 1901 Canadian census in Perth South but I can not find Walter. I would really like to know where he went from the Macpherson home in Stratford and where he was in 1901 and 1911. Walter was in touch with his sisters as late as 1896 (I have primary source documents to back that up). I would also like to find out where the two girls were sent as 'domestics'.

I would sincerely appreciate any help. Thank you in advance
    Lynda
    Hello Lynda Marie,

I have a feeling that we've been in touch as Amelia Huggett, Walter's sister, married William Rigglesford. The Walter to whom Ian refers is the one that I have.

Jan

Lynda Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Hello Lynda Marie,

I have a feeling that we've been in touch as Amelia Huggett, Walter's sister, married William Rigglesford. The Walter to whom Ian refers is the one that I have.

Jan
    Yes, Jan, they are one and the same.

Lynda

Lynda Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Keewatin View Post
    Hi there
    They are on the 1901 cesus at automatedgenealogy.com mistranscribed as Haggert
    I found them by clicking on Ontario then Perth south and then the surname listing for Perth South and choosing the most likely one
    https://automatedgenealogy.com/census...districtId=105

Btw the ppv site that many people use has the surname transcribed correctly!

Family was together
    Keewatin
    Thank you Keewatin, That was not an option that I used for the spelling of the suname. It appears, I have to be more creative. I thank you for pointing that out.

I have just noticed that you made a note the family was together. Actually, there are still 2 more children that I have marriage records for and both were married later than the census date.

Lynda
    Last edited by Lynda Marie; 08-01-2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: noticed the 'family was together'

IanBrowness

Hi Lynda:

Pleased to give you more details on what I found. Can you Private Message me (link at top of page) and I'll reply off-list? Thanks! Ian
    Last edited by IanBrowness; 09-01-2008 at 1:10 AM. Reason: I hit the Save WAY too early!

IanBrowness

Post Re: I've Lost Walter (Huggett)

Hi again, Lynda:

This overlaps a bit what Keewatin located above (i.e. "They are on the 1901 ce[n]sus...mistranscribed as Haggert... [in] ...Perth south " and earlier "Here are Martha and Lucy on the 1911..."), but here it is, in case it helps. I also located a Walter Huggett in the 1901 Canada Census for Blanshard, in Perth South; he's age 24 and born in England and so he looks like your man. On that Census he's living with a Martha and Lucy Huggett (and a few others). I couldn't find Walter on the 1911 Canada Census anywhere, but his 1913 death registration places him in Weston in York County. Not too surprisingly, the 1911 Canada Census for Weston, in the "York Centre" registration district, shows Martha and Lucy as having moved there, so he likely made his way back to them before dying. Best of luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast