geoffpowers

Question Payne family of Great Wolford

I am trying to trace the origin of the Payne family in Great Wolford. My ancestor, William Payne, was born probably around 1710. At the time of his marriage to Mary/Marie Young in Tredington in 1734 he states that he is 'of Wolford'. The surname does not seem to have been widespread in this part of Warwickshire at the time, and I am beginning to suspect that William was an 'incomer', possibly from the area of Chipping Campden.

Simeon Payne, my GGgrandfather, was the sexton of Great Wolford during the earlier part of the 19th Century. His son Edward, after working on farms in the area south of Stratford on Avon settled in Stratford and worked for Flowers Brewery.
    Last edited by geoffpowers; 05-12-2004 at 12:04 PM. Reason: typos

Mobley57

Default Payne's of Great Wolford

Help Help

I am currently researching my husbands family tree.

Simeon Payne is his GGGG Grandfather, we are not sure who his parents were, and wondered whether you could help.

I have got Simeon brother Edward, down as married to Elizabeth, and have got that they had 10 children, one of their children "William" I have as being married to Elizabeth from Armscote, and having one child Florence E Payne being born in 1887 in Stratford.

Would you be kind enough to email me your details, and I will email you everything that i have got

Regards
    Emily Mobley

Question Payne Family (2)

Two further questions:-

I suggest that William, your predecessor was a child of the 1st family but this needs to be reconciled with the Tredington 1834 marriage?

There seems to be a generation gap between the 2nd and 3rd marriages and Phillip. Can you explain?

For your information, Simeon was quite a character and still Sexton in 1891