lesleyl

Default Inquest info Lilian Allen Burchnell

I have just received a death certificate for a great aunt that no-one knew anything about until I started researching my family history. Her name was Lilian Allen Burchnell and her cause of death, at age 10, was violent suffocation by drowning accidental. There was an inquest and a certificate was produced by John Humphreys Coroner for Middlesex, inquest held 15th July 1880, death 12th July 1880 at Lea Cut. The registration district was Poplar with the death in the sub-district of Bromley? (perhaps Bromley-by-Bow, London).

I have seen the previous threads regarding inquest documents, most being destroyed after 20 years, so I wondered if anyone could help with newspaper info, what newspaper etc. etc.

Thanks

Lesley

Her birth was registered as Lillia Allen Burchnell in Holbeach, Lincolnshire
    Dec qtr 1870 vol 7a page 330

I could find no mention in the Times Digital Archive
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Default 1871 census

In the 1871 census she was Lilla

RG10; Piece: 3326; Folio: 47; Page: 17

72 West Drove, Gedney Hill, Lincolnshire

William BURCHNELL 30 Aglab b Holbeach Drove
    Sarah 24 b Gedney Hill
    Lilla Allen 4mo b Gedney Hill
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

lesleyl

Hi Sue

I did find both entries that you are talking about thank you. It would seem that the family for some reason moved to West Ham in London between Lilian's (Lilla) birth and her death but it would be interesting if I could find out what newspaper might have reported the death/accident way back then as several people on the forums seem to think that inquest reports were not kept for any length of time.

It seems a tragedy that a young girl from the country should have died in such a way when most parents faced the chance of infant morality.

Lesley