Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Braeseke

Default Names on birth certificates question

I'm looking at births registered in Q4 1911 and am interested in this:

Hall, (Female) Harber York 9d 14

Would this indicate that a name hadn't been chosen for the baby at the time of registration or maybe something else?

I'm looking for an Elizabeth Margaret Hall whom I've been told was born early Sep 1911 but as of yet I haven't been able to find her birth. The above mentioned details come pretty close and I just wondered what I may expect to find if I were to order the cert.

Geoffers

I would suspect that this was a still birth, the related death being in Dec qtr 1911, York vol 9d page 15.

I'm looking for an Elizabeth Margaret Hall whom I've been told was born early Sep 1911 but as of yet I haven't been able to find her birth
    I think you may have to widen your search - do you know roughly where she may have been born? - If not, do you know of any siblings whose births can be traced so that you might narrow down the area in the country? Do you have a marriage cerificate for her which should give an age? Do you know her mum's maiden name (from Sep 1911, mother's maiden name is included in the GRO index of briths).

Reputation beyond repute

A short lived baby rather than a stillbirth, surely? I stand to be corrected here but I didn't think there was any requirement for registration of stillbirths before 1927.

Braeseke

Hi Geoffers

This is all I have to go on:

By word of mouth I was told she was born in Monk Fryston, Sep 1911.

By word of mouth again I was told she had a brother who went to Australia, name and dob unknown and date of travel unknown, although possibly in the 1930s.

Marriage Cert - May 1937, she was 25, which brings it close to 1911.

Her father's name according to the Marriage Cert was Albert (deceased).

Unfortunately I don't know her mother's maiden name.

I have ordered possible birth cert's but only to find they were wrong and I have widened my search a fair bit but no luck yet.

Any fresh ideas would be most welcome.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    A short lived baby rather than a stillbirth, surely? I stand to be corrected here but I didn't think there was any requirement for registration of stillbirths before 1927.
    Sorry Geoffers, but I have to agree with Peter re the terminology.
    Registration for stillborn babies began 1st July 1927.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/st...nnecessary.asp
    But I would agree with the death in the same quarter, same registration district being the same baby.
    Pam

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey
    A short lived baby rather than a stillbirth, surely?
    Yes, you're quite right

Quote Originally Posted by Braeseke View Post
    By word of mouth I was told she was born in Monk Fryston, Sep 1911.
    Okedoke, let's assume that the area and year are roughly correct. To cut down possibilites, have you tried serching for births recorded as Margaret E HALL (some people do prefer one name to another and swap them around)

If this is an English certificate, who were the witnesses? They might just be relatives.

Time to walk the dogs and have a think about this

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If she was born in Monks Fryston, then the registration district should be Pontefract.
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/places/regindex1-3.pdf
    (page 281, otherwise use the search facility)

ETA: For details of what's on BMD certificates
    https://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/indexbd.htm
    Pam

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    If she was born in Monks Fryston, then the registration district should be Pontefract.
    Which would then bring Dec 1912 HALL, Margaret E in as a possibility - the mother's maiden in that entry is recorded as LAWSON. (Remember there is a period of six weeks in which to register births, so someone born in Septermber may appear in the December quarter).

Searching freebmd for a possible HALL and LAWSON marriage then comes up with:

Sep 1909 Guisborough HALL Albert - there is a corresponding entry for Sarah Ann LAWSON (bear in mind it is an index and she may have married the other chap on the same page)

There are other possiblities in different periods, a Bessie in 1912 and an Elizabeth May in 1909.

Have you found an Albert in the 1901 census who could be her dad?

Geoffers

continued.......

Is this the marriage to the splendidly names Cecil A UMPLEBY? - if so.....

By word of mouth I was told she was born in Monk Fryston, Sep 1911
    Some confirmation to your oral information can be obtained from the Death index, which records an Elizabeth Margaret UMPLEBY as having died in 1990 and recording her date of birth as 1st Sept 1911. A point that has been made elsewhere is that it is relatives who record detail for death certificates and that is sometimes a little inaccurate. In my experience, the birth day and month are often correct, it is the year where things slip a little, which again comes back to the possibility mentioned in my last post.

suedent

I wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion that the baby died as an infant. My gg-aunt was registered as "female" and lived into her 70s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast