Andrea

Default Thomas Senescal 1753

Hello

Can any one help finding the death of

Thomas Senescal b 25th Nov 1753 Colsterworth
    married Elizabeth Hellifield 5 April 1785 Upton Lincs
    married 2nd wife Elizabeth Lilliman 11th Feb 1798 Upton Lincs
    last child born Jonathan Senescal 18th Oct 1812 Upton Lincs

A search at Lincs archives did not find his death at Upton or surrounding area's. I also had a look at the NBI 2nd edition but he is not on that either.
    Can anyone help!

Andrea

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Andrea,

First thing to remember is that most Lincs burial indexes currently begin in 1813. I know new-style PRs were brought into use in 1813, but I don't know the date. Presumably there is nothing in Jonathan's baptism record to make you think that Thomas was already dead when J. was born, but have you checked the burial PRs for those few months between the birth/baptism and the start date of the new registers? I would even double-check the few months prior to the birth/baptism because I know one of my something-great grandfathers was born after his farther had died (I can't remember off the top of my head whether the baptism PR said deceased for the father or not.)
    I would also as a long shot try Colsterworth in case Thomas fell on hard times and for some reason was sent back to his birth-place.
    When you looked at the NBI did you only look in Lincs or did you look on country-wide basis? And did you check for a possible mistranscription?
    If all of those suggestions fail then I'm afraid it's back to the process of elimination. What might help is
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Gazetteer/
    enter Upton as place name and select Lincs as the county. Click new search. Click on the OS Grid reference. Click the underlined 'nearby places'. You are then given a list of places within 5 miles of Upton, but you can change the number of miles and also change it to kilometres if you want to. You will see that some places in Nottinghamshire are within 5 miles of Upton - hence the question of whether you'd searched the NBI nationwide. If you compare these places to those listed on the NBI then you will know which villages you still have to check, though remember that you will need to check all villages for those few months between birth/baptism/possibly conception and the start of the new registers in 1813.

Good luck (I think you might need it )

Pam Downes

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes
    Hi Andrea,

First thing to remember is that most Lincs burial indexes currently begin in 1813.
    To which I should have added 'so therefore most of the Lincolnshire entries on the NBI also begin in 1813.'

Pam Downes

Andrea

Default Thomas Senescal

Thank you Pam for your reply. I will go with your suggestion it's worth a try.