Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Kersfam
    I am looking for JOHN LAWRENCE KERSLAKE, who believed to have joined Navy 1901 aged 18. Believe he had some connection with HMS LOUVAIN pre 1915 or just after it was commandeered by RN in 1915. I have a photo of him in "Whites" with three stripes on left sleeve. Do you know what this means? also believe he was something to do with Armourers Crew.
    Louvain used to be a ferry called the Dresden which ran from Harwich to Holland/Belgium (I forget which offhand). It was sunk by a German U-boat towards the end of the war.

John Kerslake wasn't an officer - at least he wasn't in 1914. If the stripes are on the forearm of his sleeve, these will be for length of service. Does he have a badge above that indicating a rank?

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Kersfam

Default J.l.kerslake

Hello Geoffers,
    Thanks for yur reply. I did know about the Dresden, I also belive JLK was on HMS Minerva in 1901 at Gibraltor. The three stripes I take it would mean years of service on particular ship? or Navy? There is no badge that I can see and I don't know his age on photo. All in all I 've come to a dead end as far as JLK's naval history is concerned but gratefully appreciate yur interest.
    Thanks again
    Debbie

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Kersfam
    Hello Geoffers,
    Thanks for yur reply. I did know about the Dresden, I also belive JLK was on HMS Minerva in 1901 at Gibraltor. The three stripes I take it would mean years of service on particular ship? or Navy? There is no badge that I can see and I don't know his age on photo. All in all I 've come to a dead end as far as JLK's naval history is concerned but gratefully appreciate yur interest.
    The stripes would be for total service in the RN. Your best bet for finding details of his career would be to track down his service record. If he retired from the RN prior to 1923, this would be held at The National Archives (TNA) at Kew

Geoffers

Kersfam

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    The stripes would be for total service in the RN. Your best bet for finding details of his career would be to track down his service record. If he retired from the RN prior to 1923, this would be held at The National Archives (TNA) at Kew

Geoffers
    Thanks G. I will find him !

Debbie

DavidGrain

Default Gilbert Maager McWhirter

Would you please look up for me Gilbert Mager McWhirter (born 1873 joined RN pre 1901). Family legend is that he was on HMS Galatea at the Battle of Jutland

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGrain
    Would you please look up for me Gilbert Mager McWhirter (born 1873 joined RN pre 1901). Family legend is that he was on HMS Galatea at the Battle of Jutland
    August 1914
    MCWHIRTER, Gilbert M. Artificer Engineer with seniority of 1 Jan 1912.
    Not recorded as serving on any ship at that time.

Best way to confirm whether or ot he was at Jutland wiuld be to obtain his service record which should be found at The National Archives, Kew.

Geoffers

Pete Bank

Default Arthur John Rice

Dear Geoffers,

Please could you look up Arthur John Rice, a distant relative by marriage. I believe he was an officer in the RN.

Very many thanks,

Pete Bank

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bank
    Please could you look up Arthur John Rice, a distant relative by marriage. I believe he was an officer in the RN.
    August 1914
    RICE, Arthur J - (Acting) Artificer Engineer with seniority of 1st Oct 1913

Serving on - HMS Lion (Dev) - Battle Cruiser
    26,350 tons, 8x13.5 inch guns, 14x4 inch guns, 4x3pdr
    Flagship of Sir David Beatty, Rear Admiral 1st Battlecruiser squadron

Geoffers

Pete Bank

Default Arthur John Rice

Thanks very much, Geoffers. That is very helpful. I wonder if he might have been on the Lion when it went through a bad time at the Battle of Jutland.

Does one have to go phyically to Kew to look at service records?

Pete.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bank
    Thanks very much, Geoffers. That is very helpful. I wonder if he might have been on the Lion when it went through a bad time at the Battle of Jutland. Does one have to go phyically to Kew to look at service records?
    Pete.
    If you don't hire someone, or know a friend, then yes you do have to go to Kew to look at the records.

For commissioned officers/senior warrant officers a good alternative is The Navy List, in a copy of which I looked up your entry. Qutie a few County Record Offices and Local Studies Libraries have partial runs of these on shelves. Using them it is possible to quickly build up a record of an officer's career.

TNA, Kew has a complete (or very nearly complete) run of the Navy List.

Geoffers

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast