steveross1979

Default Andrew Ross/Androu Roes?? Caputh

I have traced my ancestry back to a John Ross b 24 Nov 1700 in Caputh, he had siblings:
    Helen b 10 Mar 1698,
    Elspet b 15 Feb 1708
    David b 23 Sep 1705
    Euphan b 8 July 1710
    all were born in Caputh

There is some confusion about the parents as Scotlands people have them as Androu Roes b abt 1672 Caputh and Magrat Ambros b abt 1676 on the birth certificates of the children, but the marriage certificate has them as Andrew Ross and Margaret Ambrose. I have come across this before in my research as one of my ancestors had four different spellings of her name which was really confusing. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated thank you Steve Ross

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Spelling back in those days was how it sounded to the person writing it down - add an accent and they sound like the same names to me no confusion at all.

Scotland's People (or anyone transcribing) have to record them as they appear in the documents.

Christine

steveross1979

Default Roes/Ross

Thanks Christine,

That has made it slightly easier for me.

cheers Steve

joette

Having Ross ancestry myself & adding in Ross & Cromarty it's a minefield of spelling variations,cousins with same christian names,whole villages with similiar names & it becomes one I haven't ventured near for some time! I will when I run out of other names!