Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Wilkes_ml

Default Re:

So it does! Well, at least I know my thought process is similar to everyone else! Looks like there isn't really anything else I can do with that one!

Clive Blackaby

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    I have the following fiche, which I am happy to search for specific queries. I am transcribing for FreeReg, so when transcribed I can search for surnames in the spreadsheet.

Michelle
    Hi Michelle,

That's an offer I can't refuse. If at some time you can root through your spreadsheets for William Willey and John Blackerby alias Carter I'd be most grateful for anything you find.

These two ne'er-do-wells were both tried and found guilty of a robbery in Matching in Essex ca 1819, and shipped off to van Diemen's Land for their sins. Both were stated as being "of Matching", but I've found no record of either of them there. I've made a bit of a start on other P.R.s working out from Matching and towards Wormley where my gt grandfather William Blackaby (whom I think is John's Grandson) married Mary Ann Willey (who is not William Willey's grand-daughter, but could be a great niece)

Wilkes_ml

Default Re:

What is with this "alias Carter" thing??? In Stisted there are three Humphrey alias Carter couples! I will keep an eye out for your names, though it could take a while for me to work my way through the parishes I have. I haven't come across either Blackaby or Willey surnames yet.
    Michelle

Brian Hobin

Thumbs up to Peter Goodey; Michelle Wilkes

Hello;
    in your note of August 28 Peter, you speak of my former attempt to find out information regarding my maternal grandparents. You are correct but I was unsuccessful in locating any further direct information regarding them. In your note you speak of accessing the records of Soldiers Effects at the National Army Museum. Do I need to hire a researcher to do that for me?
    Some years ago, I did try to hire a researcher to to access military records of Frederick CROFT but they were initiallly unsuccessful so I did not follow up.
    Michelle Wilkes asked when my mother Kathleen was born. On her unsigned Entry of Birth Kathleen was born on 19th September of 1900. How can I determine who completed the Registration?
    To my knowledge, Kathleen never had siblings, treating her foster sister as being the perosn that she was closest to. Oddly enough in the 1950's Kathleen wrote to the local police to ask if Lillian (nee. Johnson) her foster sister would wish to correspond. I saw the note affirming yes and encouraging mum tpo make contact. Kathleen did not write for several years which puzzled me. When she finally did, the letter to Lillian was returned as she was not at that address at the time.
    Michelle your thought about my maternal Grandmother Sarah never marrying Frederick may well be accurate. You mention a 28 year old Sarah CROFT working as a servant in Battersea. That may well be her. You mention me contacting the Essex records Office for the fiche. I am not sure what is on that document. With trepedation I will write and ask. If they can forward this information I will buck up my courage then as I live in a small town in Ontario Canada and will have to search to find a fiche machine.
    Peter and/or Michelle, I am the kind of person that if I am told what to do, I do it. If the task is new or complex, if I see a person start a task or give me a bit of direction I can usually complete the job. That aside, I have been stuck for so long that I feel confused and spinning my tires. Would you please advise what you think are a few basic tasks or a sequence of activity that I culd follow up on? I tend to be self critical in my "stucknes" and would appreciate any advice on how to get the fire back into my heart.
    Regards
    Brian

Brian Hobin

Default did I blunder.

Peter, I wrote a note to yourself and to Michelle Wilkes. When I sent it for somereason my computer wsa offline. When I went back on line I was not sure if my note to you was posted. Was it?
    Regards
    Brian

Wilkes_ml

Default Re:

Brian,

I have sent you a couple of private messages. In your last post you wrote "On her unsigned Entry of Birth Kathleen was born on 19th September of 1900. How can I determine who completed the Registration? "

I don't understand what an "unsigned entry of Birth" is. A birth cerificate would have an "informant" who would have signed the register and will be named in the informant column on the far right hand side of the birth certificate. Making sure you have an actual copy of her birth certificate is the first place to start.

Michelle

Reputation beyond repute

Brian
    I haven't received a PM from you but I'm about to go offline for a week. I'll be happy to think about this problem when I return.

The only reason I mentioned the previous thread was to save Michelle from repeating what had already been done.

charlotte32

Default Feering

Hello Michelle
    If I am not to late would you be kind enough to see if you can find the birth of Mary Ann Burrell.She was born about 1811.I know that she had one brother Jamesand that she married Robert Beards at some time before 1841.I do not know who her parents were though.Hope you might be able to help.
    Regards Harriet32

Mutley

Default Faulkbourne

Hello Michelle.
    I have Horsnell, Horsenell, Horsnail (and various other spellings) missing from Faulkbourne. If you come across them straying next door I would be very grateful for any info.
    Thank you

Brian Hobin

Default Wilkes ml; Goodey P.

Hello;
    Peter your note regarding your holiday reminded me my wife and I are also off to do a bit of camping as of this Wednesday for about 12 days. I believe that we will be able to make a wireless connection when we get to the East coast so that we will not be totally off line; just sometimes.
    Regards
    Brian Hobin

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast