cheryla

Default Trying to trace JANE LLOYD 1851

My great grandmother was Jane Lloyd who was married at Forden in 1872 to Nicholas Jones Williams.
    I'm trying to trace her family and I'm stuck!
    In the 1881 census she says she was born in Westbury in Shropshire in 1851, but it appears that she wasn't, as I can't trace anyone of the right name and birthdate.
    I've traced her brother William Lloyd who was born in 1838 in Montgomeryshire.
    Can anyone help?
    Cheryl

Reputation beyond repute

I'll have a look at it but first what was her stated age and her father's name and occupation on the marriage certificate?

cheryla

I'm sorry but I haven't got her marriage certificate. Would that be essential to tracing her family?
    Cheryl

Knowledgeable and helpful Karen Newman's Avatar

Absolutely if you want to be as sure as you can be. Just going by the censuses will only really give you the 'best' guess that you have the right person. The marriage cert will give father's name and occ (unless she was illeg) and then you can have a look at the censuses for a person of that name, of about the right age with a father of that name (assuming he was still living).

cheryla

Many thanks for your advice. I'd hoped to be able to trace her using her brother's year of birth as a check, but it looks as if a certificate is going to be necessary.
    thanks again.
    cheryl