Dennis Harker

Default Christopher Elvin sailed to Nova Scotia in 1802

I've had a look at Ancestry records for Canada, including military, but gained nothing so am now looking for a little guidance please. The LDS site doesn't give me any Canadian info either.

Trying to help a friend who is looking for information on one Christopher Elvin who married Ann Enner in Stoke Damerel in Devon, England, in 1802. That same year they sailed to Novia Scotia where Christopher was a soldier.
    By 1808 they had returned to England. The friend is looking for information relating to Christopher whilst he was a soldier in Canada. Where would I start please?

Of interest she understands that he retired in England as a Chelsea Pensioner. Could he have been serving as an English soldier in Canada - is that feasible or would he more likely have transferred from one military to another?

Reputation beyond repute

If he was a Chelsea Pensioner you had better read this
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...?sLeafletID=14

especially "Soldiers discharged 1760-1854" - I think this is the period you're talking about. He ought to be in the catalogue. If not try the misfiled papers.

If you still can't find him perhaps you need to think again.

Knowledgeable and helpful DebbieAnn's Avatar

"...would he more likely have transferred from one military to another?"

Actually, I don't think there was a Canadian military (as opposed to a British military presence in Canada) until after Confederation in 1867...

Debbie

Dennis Harker

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey
    If he was a Chelsea Pensioner you had better read this
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...?sLeafletID=14

especially "Soldiers discharged 1760-1854" - I think this is the period you're talking about. He ought to be in the catalogue. If not try the misfiled papers.

If you still can't find him perhaps you need to think again.
    Peter,

Thanks for that. My search on Christopher Elvin on that link found him discharged in the period 1825-1848 aged 39 having served in the Royal Artillery. That was the only result from the NA Catalogue so I need to do some further research as there was a Christopher Elvin born in Horsington in 1809 and this entry probably refers to him - 1809 + 39 being 1848. I know that the Christopher I am looking for married in 1802 and would have been too old to fit that discharge age for that period. However, you have given me a starting point - thank you.

Dennis Harker

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieAnn
    "...would he more likely have transferred from one military to another?"

Actually, I don't think there was a Canadian military (as opposed to a British military presence in Canada) until after Confederation in 1867...

Debbie
    Debbie,

Thank you - history was not my favourite subject and I was wondering if it could have been British Forces serving in Canada. That ought to make my searching easier through the military sections of the NA then.

Ken Boyce

I’m ashamed to admit that my knowledge of the history of my adopted country is not what it should be – however I think you will find that before 1867 the British Army was responsible for protecting Canada. After 1867 the UK gradually downsized its forces You should be able to find out which British Regiments were in Canada during the period of interest

BTW There was no National Canadian Army until the 1900s

Regards

Reputation beyond repute

If your man isn't obviously listed in WO 97, the story starts looking shaky at the first test it's put to.

Is this absolutely all you know? Married, went to Canada, came back again isn't really a lot to work on.

Were any children born in Canada?

Somehow or other I think you need to identify his regiment.

Elly

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Harker
    Of interest she understands that he retired in England as a Chelsea Pensioner.
    Have you any real evidence that he was a pensioner, a census for example?

If he didn't receive a pension he won't be in WO 97. On the other hand, even TNA admits that WO 97 records are not complete.

Elly

Ken Boyce

Try the following Canadian site which deals with the history of the military in Canada including UK forces

https://www.civilization.ca/sitendx/h...heme=milihiste

Regards

Ken Boyce

Out of interest I did some homework on the 18/19C military situation in Canada and came up with the following

Most of its 18th- and 19th-century records of UK military units that served in Canada were kept by the War Office and other UK offices. There are some records in French Archives and copies of many of these are available from the National Archives of Canada

During the 19th century all Canadian men, 18 to 60, were required to serve in the Sedentary Militia.

Imposed by law under the Lower Canada Militia Act of 1803 and the Upper Canada Militia Act of 1808, the Sedentary Militia was composed of all able-bodied men (except Quakers and others whose religious convictions forbade military service) between the ages of 18 and 60 years. An annual muster of the militia was held, at which attendance was compulsory, under penalty of a heavy fine Scattered militia lists give the names of some of these conscripts.

There are some service records available for Canadian volunteers who fought in the 19th-century wars also the National Archives of Canada has medal registers listing names of many who served during the 19th century.

Records of deceased Canadian military personnel are available 20 years after death to members of their families. Requests to:
    National Personnel Records Centre
    National Archives of Canada
    Tunney's Pasture
    Ottawa, ON, Canada K1A 0N3

Note that when following the military pension route that military pensions were sometimes authorized many years after the period of service

The Canadian Military Genealogical FAQ web site provides pages of information for genealogical and historical research.
    https://www.ogsottawa.on.ca/MilitaryFAQ.php

Regards