Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Trent C

Richard Cock, I believe, was my great-great-grandfather. His son, Edward P. Cock, was my great-grandfather, and his son, William Edward Cock, was my grandfather. I have a fair amount of information about the latter generations if anyone is interested.

Anne K

Thanks Trent C - I have sent you a private message.

rgds Anne

jdavid

Quote Originally Posted by Trent C View Post
    Richard Cock, I believe, was my great-great-grandfather. His son, Edward P. Cock, was my great-grandfather, and his son, William Edward Cock, was my grandfather. I have a fair amount of information about the latter generations if anyone is interested.
    Trent,
    I think our families are related as my grandmother was Sarah Wardle born 1883 in Dawley, in the Royal Oak Inn on Burton street.
    She married David Holland in Manchester and moved to Canada.
    I have been looking for years for more family info. Hope you can help!

Cheers,
    John Colville

jdavid

I think that, as my grandmother Sarah Wardle was born in 1883 in The Royal Oak Inn on Burton St, it may have been a pub.
    Mind you, I have been told there was probably a Royal Oak Inn in most towns!
    John

howard_crook

Default Royal Exchange Dawley

I have just seen this old thread while researching the history of the Royal oak Dawley, for anyone who is intrested the Public House known formally as the Royal Oak in Burton street Dawley was re-named the Royal Exchange Dawley some time a the turn of the century. I can confirm that Richard Cock was a former owner of the building as i have some very old deeds with his name on, unfortunatly this paperwork is in UK and i am working abroard so i can't check this out at the moment, i am sure that Richard Cock was the first person to own the Royal Oak it was built in 1856, this was a brew house not a public house so they could brew and sell there own beer only (not wine and spirits) i imagine it was a family buisness, the Pub is still there and was trading until 2006 if you google the Royal Exchange Dawley you can see some recent Photos its now closed as a Pub and has been converted this to a house.

jdavid

Anne,

If you still have a copy of Ann Sophia Cock's marriage certificate, would it be possible to get a copy as she is my great grandmother.
    I don't have much in the way of certificates, but have discovered a number of relatives living in the Manchester area still.
    Maybe we could collaborate on these?

Thanks, John Colville

jdavid

Trent,

I am very interested in the Cock family as my great grandmother was one of them!
    My grandmother moved to Canada in 1910 and some of her sisters also emigrated to Canada and New Zealand.

Here's hoping you can aid my search.

John Colville

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12