Thread: Somerset

holc

Default Somerset

Hello,

My husband and I are researching the HOLCOMBE FAMILY of Somerset England, and Wales. We will be visiting England in May, from Australia.

We were hoping someone might be able to give us some direction as to Record Places that would be an advantage for us to visit, to research, and the type of information we could access if any.

Having not done physical genealogy research in England or Wales before, we are not sure of where to start.

We would be most thankful for any advice.

Best wishes,
    Margaret.

Dennis Harker

I haven’t used the Somerset Archives as my research is based on Lincolnshire but my partner Chris recommends the following which she has used :-

https://www.somerset.gov.uk/somerset/culturecommunity/culturalservice/libraries/information/somersetstudies/

This will take you to the website of Taunton Public Library which does hold some family history archives, census, etc. Not sure if you need an appointment etc. so contact via the website would be recommended before you plan your trip.

https://www.somerset.gov.uk/archives

</FONT></SPAN>

This will take you to the website of Taunton Public Library which does hold some family history archives, census, etc. Not sure if you need an appointment etc. so contact via the website would be recommended before you plan your trip.

https://www.somerset.gov.uk/archives

This will take you to the website of Somerset Records Office. At their homepage you can click on SERVICES WE PROVIDE and this will give you the information about making an appointment, their search and study rooms, etc.

<FONT size=3>Taunton<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> is the County Town and would be a good place to start. It might be worth contacting these two organisations (both part of Somerset County Council) and asking what other records offices, etc. exist so that you can plan youyle="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">

This will take you to the website of Somerset Records Office. At their homepage you can click on SERVICES WE PROVIDE and this will give you the information about making an appointment, their search and study rooms, etc.

Taunton is the County Town and would be a good place to start. It might be worth contacting these two organisations (both part of Somerset County Council) and asking what other records offices, etc. exist so that you can plan your visit to your best advantage.

If I think of anything else I will either post it here or PM you.

Dennis Harker

Sorry my reply has been hit by the duplication 'bug'. However, all the info is there you just need to remove the duplicate parts.

hyatt

[QUOTE=holc]Hello,

My husband and I are researching the HOLCOMBE FAMILY of Somerset England, and Wales. We will be visiting England in May, from Australia.
    which part of somerset are you looking at.
    I had distant rellies recently researching in somerset

just checked ...
    which holcombes are yours
    Fitzhead Dulverton Tellisford Brushford Hawkridge St Decuman or Ilminster ...

Keith W.

Default Holcombes in Somerset

Hi Margaret,
    See the post from last year entitled "Help appreciated - Banwell 1901 Census"
    about a Holcombe family in the Williton / Watchet area.
    Good Luck
    Keith

kiwipom

You may like to visit the village of Holcombe, there MAY be a connection, It's just outside Radstock on the way to Frome. Turn right at the crossroads with the Falkland-Norton St Philip road.

This is not an advert but a recommendation, that whilst there you may also like to dine at the Joliffe........it's a splendid treat.

have a great and successful trip