Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    margie12

Default factories in bradford/openshaw making ships steel plates

my uncle has told me that my grandad who lived in moody street bradford m/c worked at a factory that made or fitted heavy steel plates to battleships during ww1, he cannot remember the name but says they had a famous battleship in for repair, the factory must have been near to bradford or openshaw, can any one help with the names of possible factories
    margaret

Jack Richards

Don't know the correct answer, will have to give my memory a blast, but for starters, how about Crossley's Engineering or was it Motors?

As the day progresses and my memory starts to function, I may remember another large engineering company. Metro Vics. seems to ring a bell.

Regards Jack

uksearch

Quote Originally Posted by margie12
    my uncle has told me that my grandad who lived in moody street bradford m/c worked at a factory that made or fitted heavy steel plates to battleships during ww1, he cannot remember the name but says they had a famous battleship in for repair, the factory must have been near to bradford or openshaw, can any one help with the names of possible factories
    margaret
    I don't know the answer, but if the Battleship was here in Manchester then it would have had to have come up t'cut. Crossley's and " Metro Vicks" could have both done the work.
    UK

margie12

thanks guys
    Ill put the names to uncle albert and try to jog his memory, I also thought about gorton tank but that was trains, on gorton lane there is a pub called the vulcan that puts iron and steel to mind and a long brick wall just past the monastry looks like a large works was there.
    many thanks
    margaret

Jack Richards

Reference my response earlier, then there is Beyer Peacocks to consider - not sure if I have spelt Beyer correctly. I'm sure they were involved with steel, there seemed to be the sound of heavy hammering machinery emanating from their works.

Apart from those mentioned already, there is another one, a heavy engineering company but my brain refuses to come forth with the name.

This particular area had some large engineering works, not forgetting Johnsons Wireworks. a steel company and nearby Bradford (pit) Colliery. Of course these latter two companies would not answer the original question, unless of course, there was any steel ropes on the ship.

The area to which the original question mentioned is several miles, about say 4 from the ship canal or as our friend uksearch calls t'cut.

Regards Jack

Jack Richards

Whilst writing my last message, Margie has entered a message referring to the district of Gorton and the mention of a works on Gorton Lane, not more than a hundred metres past the Monastary (now being lovingly restored, such a magnificent building) - I digress - I wonder Margie, I think you may be referring to Beyer Peacocks - remember off Gorton Lane there was a Beyer Street and a Peacock Street.

Regards Jack

margie12

thanks jack
    I wondered about beyer peacock but when I googled it trains came up, richard peacock has his tomb in the graveyard at brookfield church, he built the church and lived at gorton hall.
    Im a bradford girl and just cant remember the names I think senile decay is setting in
    many thanks
    margaret

margie12

thanks again jack
    i think we must be writing in tandom
    margaret

Jack Richards

We are going to have to stop meeting like this, our friends on this forum are starting to talk - nudge, nudge, wink, wink!

Brookfield Church on Hyde Road, now there's a location. My wife and I had an appointment there some years ago. Much changed now, but part of it is being restored.

Bradford (Manchester), by heck Gladys - oops Margaret - you must now be proud of all the redevelopment - home to so many sports facilities including Gods own football team - City to the non football friends - the velodrome, sports city all the new homes. It really is on the "up".

Please will you contact me "off list" re your interest in the name Thomas?

Regards Jack
    Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2007 at 1:56 PM.

margie12

hi jack
    sorry I live in denton now just pass through bradford, we cant even tell where the old streets were, breaks my heart but thats nostalgia, to be fair I wouldnt want to live there now. I will send you a pm
    thanks
    margaret

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast