Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sian

Default The mystery of Nathan Cripps

Hi All,

I am struggling with my one of my relatives. On the parish records for St Helen's Church, Abingdon it states: 14/7/1850 John Bridges, 27, bachelor, labourer of West St Helen's, son of Tom labourer, married Eliza Cripps, 25, spinster of West St Helens St, daughter of Nathan, miller.

I am unable to find any records for Nathan or Nathaniel Cripps, I’ve been to the Berkshire forum with this & as it seems the areas are now in Oxon, so I thought I’d bring it here.

On the census of 1861 Eliza describes her birth place as Faringdon & the 1881 census Little Faringdon (which is now Langford).

Thanks in anticipation
    Sian (in Cornwall)

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Sian
    Little Faringdon (which is now Langford).
    No. It was once in the parish of Langford and later became a parish in its own right.

When you posted this question before, I drew your attention to the transcript of the Langford parish registers published by the Oxfordshire FHS.

I suggest you get hold of a copy. You may wish to check coverage with them first.

Apparently also on CD at a suitably inflated price.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2007 at 9:06 PM.

Geoffers

On the census of 1861 Eliza describes her birth place as Faringdon & the 1881 census Little Faringdon (which is now Langford).
    I note that in each census, the birthplace is described as being in Berkshire. No one from Little Faringdon would say that they came from Berkshire - there is a certain amount of local indignation at people confusing the two. I only have the transcript of the 1881 census on CD, which refers to 'Litt Faringdon, Berkshire' - does the original image confirm this?

Does Eliza CRIPPS turn up in the 1841 census anywhere?

Geoffers

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Sian,

in case you haven't seen this - the only Nath CRIPPS that comes up anywhere in 1841 on Origins index, age 5, but in Oxfordshire. May come in handy one day.

Hampton Gay
    Oxfordshire

Henry ELLIS, 60, yes
    Elizth CRIPPS, 30, yes
    Ann CRIPPS, 60, yes
    Nath do, 5, yes
    Ann do, 3, yes
    (no occupations written besides anyone - farmers and ag labs either side)

HO107-0886
    Image No4
    Folio No1\3
    Page No8

County OXFORDSHIRE
    Superintendent Registrar's District WOODSTOCK
    Registrar's District WOODSTOCK
    Enumeration District No5

Christine

Sian

Smile

Thanks everyone.

I have sent my father (who lives in Oxford) back to St Luke's Records office, as he had looked at Little Faringdon & Langford's parish records, but had not found anything re: Nathan, but he'll have another look, failing that I will probably put Nathan to bed for a while!

Sian

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    I only have the transcript of the 1881 census on CD, which refers to 'Litt Faringdon, Berkshire' - does the original image confirm this?
    Worse than that. It fairly unambiguously states "Little Farringdon". The county is just shown as ditto marks.

However, I notice that the 1851 census has a number of people called CRIPPS born in Farringdon, Berkshire which may add weight to your suggestion that Berkshire is the place to look!

Sian

Red face

May have made some progress, there is a Nathaniel Cripps registered as dying in Bicester in 1839. Fingers crossed everyone. It didn't come up on search of names (Nath, Nate, Nathan, Nathaniel Cripps), I had to trawl through 3,500 records to find him (hey ho!).

Will keep you posted, when I receive the cert.

Sx

Mutley

Sian,
    If the Nathaniel Cripps born Hampton Gay mentioned by Christine above does belong to you he is also showing up in the 1851 and in 1891 and 1901 as married to Elizabeth. His occupation is Ag Lab.
    Let me know if you want the reference numbers.

Mutley

Sian

Thanks ChristineR & Mutley, I haven't got that far yet, but will let you know if I do.
    Sx

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

May have made some progress, there is a Nathaniel Cripps registered as dying in Bicester in 1839. Fingers crossed everyone. It didn't come up on search of names (Nath, Nate, Nathan, Nathaniel Cripps), I had to trawl through 3,500 records to find him (hey ho!).

Will keep you posted, when I receive the cert.

Sx
    That is the only one to come up on FreeBMD - instantly! sorry, didn't mention it because I thought you would know. Good luck with the certificate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast