Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    satanicsons

Iam a newby I am looking for information on my wifes family who lived in Guinness Buildings, Pages Walk. We have a block No of 53C and the name is Brown.Her mother had a son Anthony in 1960 that died early with chest problems so we are told. She then had a daughter in 1963 that was taken into care. Her brother also had a son at this address in 1965. We have found the mother but she is not prepared to talk. So we are missing a few people if anyone can help.
    Last edited by Geoffers; 06-12-2010 at 8:45 AM. Reason: Removal of names of people who may be alive - see AUP

Geoffers

Welcome to the B-G forums

Quote Originally Posted by satanicsons
    Iam a newby I am looking for information on my wifes family who lived in Guinness Buildings, Pages Walk. We have a block No of 53C and the name is Brown. Her mother had a son Anthony in 1960 that died early with chest problems so we are told.She then had a daughter in 1963 that was taken into care. Her brother also had a son at this address in 1965. We have found the mother but she is not prepared to talk. So we are missing a few people if anyone can help.
    Would anyone able to assist please bear in my the forums' Acceptable user Policy. If you can help with information which relates to people who may be living, please reply to this query by private message or e-mail.

In looking for this family and other possible births/marriages/deaths, you will need to use the General Register Office (GRO) index. The index is available online via many pay-per-view sites and also at record offices. The index provides limited information from which copies of certificates (containing more detail) may be ordered.

If the mother's birth certificate can be identified, you would get her parents' details - can you then trace what happened to the parents? Did they have any other children who can be traced? Did the parents leave wills in which they mention grandchildren?

val dallison

Default guiness buildings park walk

I'm researching family history and come across the post about guiness buildings in London. The relative that i have found is Charles Gough, who would have been my great grand uncle. His wife was Sarah, son John, daughter Elizabeth, son William, son James, son Charles H and daughter Caroline. The family were originally from Exeter, i have found from census records that in 1891 some of the family were living in Pages Walk.
    Caroline has shown to have lived at 407 Guiness buildings up to 1931(possibly longer).

If anyone has any information i would be grateful to hear about it .

Val

bob duncan

further to your description. I lived in the fulham palace road flats for 27 years, being born there at the end of the war. My memory of them was, there were 4 main blocks and 3 smaller blocks, on the ground floor landing where we lived there were 5 flats, 4 three roomed and 1 one roomed, as we were a large family, we had a 3 room and the 1 room. On the landing there was a washroom with boiler and mangle, a seperate sink with cold water tap located outside the washroom, and 2 toilets. The flats were lit by gas, the gas point for cooker and fire was in the larger room which served as lounge / kitchen, the 2 smaller rooms were bedrooms. The bath facilities were as you describe, men and boys twice a week. Also a clubhouse where I remember having boxing lessons! I think electricity was installed about 1957/60, when a sink with water was plumbed into the main room, along with a small over sink gas water heater, much later the washroom was converted into a bathroom, to be shared between the families on allotted days.
    Thats how it was in those days, and it must be said, much better conditions than a lot of people lived in.

Lucy Library

Default Bermondsey Boys' Club

Hi, I have recently visited Bermondsey & have found this thread on the web. I never knew my grandfather, George Rogers (aka Gerald or Jock), but have been told he worked for the Guinness Trust when he came out of the army in the 1920s. He had been a fencing and small arms instructor based in Hythe in Kent but took up the Guinness Trust post in Bermondsey. I have photos of him fencing on top of a building surrounded by chain-link fencing with my aunt (in WWII uniform) watching, and wondered if this was on top of the Guinness Trust flats. I also have photos of George running a boys' camp somewhere in the countryside, teaching boys to shoot etc (would this be allowed now?). I wondered if anyone could remember relatives taking part in these activities and could tell me what George's job was. The photos must stem from the 1930s and 1940s. George emigrated to Australia after WWII.
    Any info would be useful, many thanks, LL

lucyluchad

Hi to you all,
    Wow, what an amazing forum. a wealth of knowledge and history.
    My Gt gran was living in this building in 1911 with her 2 sons, she also had 3 daughters, but due to my gt grandfathers death in 1911 they went to stay with other family members which i have found out on various 1911 census.
    I would really like some pics/info/rules etc, so i can include in my research.
    Mrs Maria Brice was living at 26B Block, Guinness buildings, Brandon street, Walworth.
    Many Thanks
    Kind Regards
    Lucy

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Lucy, if you google 'Bermondsey photos' you should come up with a wealth of photos for the area.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

DawnAtGuinness

Default Do you have any Guinness stories to share?

Hi all. The Guinness Partnership (formally known as The Guinness Trust) is 125 years old next year and we're collecting stories/memories/photos of people who have lived in our homes. Please email [email protected] if you'd be willing to share your stories with us. More information can be found on our website: www.guinnesspartnership.com

Thanks, Dawn

DawnAtGuinness

Hi Phil,

Did you manage to track down the right Guinness buildings? I suspect it was either Snowsfields or Pages Walk developments that you were probably referring too. If not, I might be able to help with some information.

The Guinness Partnership (formally known as The Guinness Trust) is 125 years old next year and we're collecting stories/memories of people and their relatives who have lived in our homes. Please email [email protected] if you'd be willing to share your stories with us or if I can help you further.

Kind regards, Dawn

DawnAtGuinness

Quote Originally Posted by lucyluchad View Post
    Hi to you all,
    Wow, what an amazing forum. a wealth of knowledge and history.
    My Gt gran was living in this building in 1911 with her 2 sons, she also had 3 daughters, but due to my gt grandfathers death in 1911 they went to stay with other family members which i have found out on various 1911 census.
    I would really like some pics/info/rules etc, so i can include in my research.
    Mrs Maria Brice was living at 26B Block, Guinness buildings, Brandon street, Walworth.
    Many Thanks
    Kind Regards
    Lucy
    Hi Lucy, here's some information about the Guinness Trust archives, which include Brandon Street:

The archives of The Guinness Trust dating back to 1889 are held at London Metropolitan Archives (LMA) the pan London and City archives managed by the City of London Corporation. They are currently being catalogued as part of a funded project funded by The Guinness Partnership. The archives (collection reference LMA/4656) is available for consultation in London Metropolitan Archives' Archive Study Area by prior appointment until the end of 2014. From mid-January 2015 full descriptions will be available on LMA's online catalogue and available to order to researchers registered with a valid History Card.

Sources for family history include registers of tenants for the following specific London estates only: Brandon Street, Walworth; Draycott Avenue, Chelsea; Fulham Palace Road, Hammersmith; and Lever Street, Finsbury. There are is also a volume listing employees and details of service (1891-1968). Note most of these volumes are subject to closures under current data protection legislation. Photographs of the estates and some staff are held and are being digitised. For further details please enquire with LMA.

For all enquiries please contact LMA enquiries 0207 332 3820 email [email protected]. For LMA's paid family history research service and further details please visit https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/lma.

The Guinness Partnership (formally known as The Guinness Trust) is 125 years old next year and we're collecting stories/memories of people and their relatives who have lived in our homes. Please email [email protected] if you'd be willing to share your stories with us or if I can help you further.

Kind regards, Dawn

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast