Dennis Harker

Default Frederick Donner born c1901 Mareham-le-Fen

I've just started research on Fred, an uncle of my father's, who emigrated from England to the New World in the early 20th Century. My Dad's memory is failing a bit now but he remembers Fred being a farmer in Canada and also serving in the Canadian Forces during WWII (chaplain?).

I've traced his brothers Charles and William as arriving in New York onboard SS Caronia on May 29th 1912. Charles moved on to Big Rapids Michigan and William to Oregon.

We don't know what year Frederick travelled and whether he emigrated directly to Canada or via New York and then moved up. I have looked at the Canadian Censuses on line but they finish at 1911. I've also looked at the immigration passenger lists but you can't search by individual.

So, this is a bit of a long shot but hoping someone may have some info or advice. Many thanks.

Dennis Harker

I've managed to obtain a little more information just in case this may help someone recognise the family I am looking for.

Frederick Donner/Donnor married Rose (date not known but probably 1925-35 era). They had one daughter, Francis (Frances?) who currently resides in Ontario (so I am told).

I will try and search for the marriage and for Francis (Frances?) but in the meantime if anyone has any suggestions they will be gratefully received.

Thank you.

DaveM

Default Frederick Donner Land Grant

Hi Dennis,

A Frederick Donner was given a land grant in Alberta in Sept 1915.
    Library & ARchives Canada web site at

https://www.collectionscanada.ca/arch.../020111_e.html

Just put Donner in the name field & you will get a record which shows where the grant was located. It's a bit complicated but the help page explains the survey system that was used. Many of the land grants are online, but as luck would have it, Frederick's is not. Hope this helps a little.

Dave Milsom,
    Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    Last edited by DaveM; 04-01-2007 at 4:35 PM.

Dennis Harker

DaveM,

Many thanks for that link. Looks like a strong possibility as my father says that Fred did own a farm in Canada.

Once I have a little more free time I will follow this up and have a look to see if I can find any reference to Francis(Frances).

Once again many thanks