Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WWI and II memorials

Hi all,

Anyone live near too or willing to take a photo of a WWI or II memorial?

https://www.roll-of-honour.com/

I happened to be in cornwall for a long weekend, and as my better half's ancestry is there we walked round a few churches looking at head stones. As it happens, I took a photo of a memorial, and someone on this forum had posted a link to the above site which now has my addition. Would be nice if we as a group could help with filling in many of the blanks. If you have time to take the odd photo or three, but don't have time to transcribe the entries, mail the photo's to me and I'll do that part before sending it on to him, but I'll end up with the credit. The site is free to access, and since sending in my little list, he has already added additinal info about many of the fallen which will be a valuable source for us researchers. Go on, get snapping!

Rgds
    Mike

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Hi Mike,

My husband took this photo in Constantine, Cornwall a few years ago, in respect of Douglas Jose COLLINS whose details I do have, but I didn't transcribe the rest of the names.

Unfortunately, I can't read all of them, so if you can ....... you are welcome to submit it to the site and take the credit.

I'm not sure, but I may have a coloured photo of the whole Memorial, so if this would be of use to you, I'll wade through the albums to see if I can find it.

Good luck with your research everybody!

Hi Diane,

Thanks for this one,
    if you have any other photos you can mail me, but I'm a bit loathed to post my mail address for all to see, and you'r settings don't allow PM. if you can post them someplace for me to access that would be cool. I dished out the Gloucestershire list at work today, and asked folks to go take pictures of their local memorials which should help.

Rgds
    Mike

Hi Mike,

I've looked for the photo of the complete War Memorial in all my albums, but when I couldn't find it, my husband checked too ....... just in case I had missed it somehow!

Sorry to say, that I was mistaken in thinking we had taken a photo of it.

By the way, there is a Douglas COLLINS mentioned on your link for Wendron Parish. I'm wondering if this is one and the same person, as the family lived in Gweek and they still did in the late 1990's.

Douglas Jose COLLINS, born 16 Nov 1916 Helston, Cornwall

GRAVE OF DOUGLAS JOSE COLLINS

In Memory of
    DOUGLAS JOSE COLLINS
    Captain
    4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards, R.A.C.
    who died on
    Tuesday, 1st August 1944. Age 27
    Son of Thomas Jose Collins and Mildred Collins,
    Husband of Barbara Maud Collins, of Gweek, Cornwall.

Cemetery: BAYEUX WAR CEMETERY, Calvados, France
    Grave Reference/Panel Number: XV.K.14.
    War Memorial Constantine Church, Cornwall

A couple of snippets which my Big Bruv sent to me ...... he transcribes War Diaries.

January 1942 CO: Lt. Col R G G Byron

Jan 42
    4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards

Edgcote.

The Regt still finds itself in Billets near BANBURY having been in this country district with Sqns at WOODFORD HALSE, CULWORTH and THORPE MANDEVILLE since 31st October 1940. we are in the process of being re-equipped with Covenanters Mk III (of which we have now 38) instead of the Covenanter I of which only 17 are now with us.

'A' Sqn and 'C' Sqn which have been on aerodrome guard for December 1941 at WITTERING near STAMFORD, returned to billets today, most of the Covenanters coming by rail.

The CO held a Sqn Ldrs conference at RHQ in the evening.

A troop of 'A' Sqn under 2/Lt. Pillman took over aerodrome guard duty at HUNSDON from the 'C' Sqn Tp which had been there for the past 3 weeks.

The 2i/c took a discussion for A & C Sqn officers in the evening on harbouring problems, ambushes and employment of attached sub-units from other arms.

The CO left in the evening for MIDHOPE in Yorkshire to visit the Assault Course there.

The officers of B & HQ Sqns attended a good lecture by Capt. Acland (Indian Army) on the Persian Campaign 1941 at NORTHAMPTON in the afternoon.

Maintenance was carried out during the morning, football and other sports in the afternoon.

The CO returned from MIDHOPE in the evening; the course he had seen is a very strenuous one and requires very good powers of endurance.

75 officers and NCOs attended a lecture by Admiral of the Fleet Sir Roger Keyes given at TOWCESTER. He spoke in general about Commandos (with which he was associated till recently), and operations in the Far and Middle East.

Sqns held church parades in the morning. A Regtl rugger trial match was played in the afternoon.

2/Lt. DJ Collins joined the Regt yesterday and has been posted to HQ Sqn.

August 1944 CO Lt. Col R G G Byron

The Regt moved out from area NE of CAUMONT very early, the Commanding Officer’s and Sgt Porter’s tanks moving with 214 Bde HQ 1 Worcs led followed by 2nd SLI with B and A Sqns respectively. Objective was CAHAGNES and high ground beyond. RHQ moved in morning to CAHAGNES with Bde HQ where they were shelled. Sqns saw their Inf on despite some opposition. By mid-day B Sqn were within 400 yds of their objective. C Sqn working with DCLI brewed up a Panther and took some prisoners. A and C Sqns were released and returned to harbour in the evening B Sqn remaining out until 2130 hrs with their Inf. The Regt harboured N. of CAHAGNES that night and remained in that area most of the next day. Captain D.J. Collins who had been Technical Adjt since November 1942 was unfortunately killed by a shell in the evening when returning from recovering a B Sqn tank. He was a most energetic officer and a very able Technical Adjutant.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Grant-Salmon
    Hi Mike,
    I've looked for the
    Hi Diane, thanks for looking for that. I'll pass on the info you have posted to the Co-ord, who should be able to add it to the right memorial entries.

I've found a Glos based site with many of the memorials transcribed, so I've put the two people in contact with each other. One guy is only interested in Glos based stuff, the the Roll of Honour is in the long term going to cover all memorials, so should get a bit of info shared between the two.

Thanks for taking the time to look for me. I'll be digging the camera out this weekend to snap a few piccies.

Rgds
    Mike

Dennis Harker

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_E
    Hi all,

Anyone live near too or willing to take a photo of a WWI or II memorial?

https://www.roll-of-honour.com/

I happened to be in cornwall for a long weekend, and as my better half's ancestry is there we walked round a few churches looking at head stones. As it happens, I took a photo of a memorial, and someone on this forum had posted a link to the above site which now has my addition. Would be nice if we as a group could help with filling in many of the blanks. If you have time to take the odd photo or three, but don't have time to transcribe the entries, mail the photo's to me and I'll do that part before sending it on to him, but I'll end up with the credit. The site is free to access, and since sending in my little list, he has already added additinal info about many of the fallen which will be a valuable source for us researchers. Go on, get snapping!

Rgds
    Mike
    Mike,

Thanks for the info. As I've not needed to do any memorial searching I wasn't aware of this site. Now I am aware of it and of the fact that they need more information I can add quite a few more for Somerset starting with my own village. It will make a change to have a project that will get me away from this PC for a change!! (Well, it's too wet to get into the garden).

Jem2109

This is a great idea, I've never come across any military relatives until last week. I'll be taking photo's of the two memorials in our town during Whit week holidays!

MarkJ

I have transcribed the memorial in the cemetery at St Enoder - I am happy to pass those details on to the website if they would be of use. I don't have a photo of the memorial itself though - but it would be easy enough to get one taken.
    I had a quick look on the site and notice that they have a template for submitting transcriptions - but it is a Word one. Not being a Microsoft user, I doubt I could use that format easily.
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast