A.FOREMAN

Default Where was he buried?

Henry Alfred Collcutt was b. in Oxford in 1820, one of a long line of Collcutts in the city.He married Elizabeth Randall in 1848 & was a butler at Magdelan College for a number of years., living with his family in St.Aldates.But in 1881 census he was found living in Caversham as a gamekeeper, a boarder with one Elizabeth Gomm - a pauper living on outdoor relief. His wife Elizabeth died in Oxford in 1892 & he died in 1895 address given Union Workhouse - Henley -on- Thames - his occupation given as general labourer of Kidmore Reading.What I would love to know is where he would have been buried? Would his family have brought him back to Oxford with all the other Collcutts or would he have been buried somewhere near the workhouse? And who would have paid for the burial? Would there have been some record of this or some stone bearing his name.Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by A.FOREMAN
    Henry Alfred Collcutt......died in 1895 address given Union Workhouse - Henley -on- Thames - his occupation given as general labourer of Kidmore Reading.What I would love to know is where he would have been buried?
    I suggest contacting the record office which holds the surviving workhouse records. Hopefully there might be a death/burial register included, indicating if family collected the body and where they buried him, or if he was buried locally - if this is the case then the grave is likely to be unmarked.

Geoffers

A.FOREMAN

Default Where was he buried?

Thank you Geoffers. Will try & find the record office. A.F.