lincs lass

Default Headington Parish Record Look Up Please

Hi,could some one look up a marriage for me please in Headington 1846?
    I have an Ellen Selina Carr of Oxford, in my tree,when she married Robert McClelland in 1865 she said she was a Spinster.
    I have found an Ellen Selina Carr,married a Thomas Dell,in Headington in 1846.I am trying to find if this one is mine(and she fibbed the second time around)
    On the 1865 marriage she says her father was Richard Carr,a Gentleman.
    Many thanks.

lincs lass

Annie

Do you have an age for her on the 1865 cert? To be the same person she would have to be over 35 years of age at least.
    Out of interest from the IGI:
    ELLIN SELINA CARR
    Christening:
    09 APR 1824 Saint Giles, Oxford, Oxford, England
    Father: RICHARD CARR
    Mother: SARAH
    C038814

lincs lass

Hi Annie,
    The Ellen you found is "mine" on her marriage it says of age,
    The Oxford Family History people did a search for me and that is how I know this Ellen is mine for sure.
    I need to know if Ellen had a daughter,when she married Robert,a Caroline Elizabeth,I can't find a register with her on anywhere.If she did have a daughter I wondered if I had been searching for the wrong name for her.
    By 1871 census,Caroline is down as McClelland(but was she really??)

lincs lass

janbooth

Default Ellen Selina CARR

I have tried to trace Ellen Selina on the earlier census records and she is definitely unmarried in the 1841 census of Oxford St Giles on HO107/891/5, folio 14, page 20 living at North Parade with mother Sarah and presumably siblings Isabella and George. However, she seems to disappear after that in her maiden name which could fit in with the fact she married Thomas DELL in 1846. Thomas DELL is in Reading in the 1851 census (HO107/1692, folio 337, page 1) living at 6 Oxford Street with wife Ellen and 3 visitors and described as a Coach Builder. By the 1861 census (RG9/746, folio 45, page 14), Thomas is shown as a married lodger in the household of Sophia PHILLIPS, but no sign of wife Ellen. By the 1871 census of Reading (RG10/1279, folio 119, page 11), Thomas is described as a widower lodging in the household of a James MEABY. The only Ellen DELL I can find in the 1861 census who looks remotely possible is a supposedly unmarried one in St Giles, Middlesex lodging at 45 Charles St (RG9/170, folio 77, page 6).

Do you already have the marriage certificate for Ellen CARR and Thomas DELL (March qtr 1846 at Headington reg district, vol 16, page 89 according to FreeBMD) because that should at least confirm whether she is your Ellen CARR. Other than that, you will probably have to consult the parish registers of Ilsey to confirm the parentage of Caroline Elizabeth.

Do you also have details of the siblings of Ellen Selina and the baptism of her father Richard and his siblings? I have the OFHS PR transcripts of St Giles and am happy to give them to you if you wish.

Good luck

Janet

lincs lass

Hi Janet,many thanks for the searching you have done for me.
    I have had a search done for Caroline Elizabeth McClelland in Hilsea Hampshire(her father was in Royal Artillery there)
    but she could not be found in their records.
    I have Ellen Selina's siblings details of birth but not her father's,I would appreciate the offer of these.Thank you.
    I dont have the Carr/Dell marriage certificate,I did look for a Caroline Elizabeth Dell on freebmd,but no luck.
    I am really stuck with this one.

Thanks again
    lincs lass

janbooth

Default Richard CARR

Sheila,

Sorry for the delay - here are the details for Richard & siblings at St Giles:

Baptisms:

4 May 1781 Mary Anne CARR daughter John & Mary. Private baptism,
    received at the church 6 June
    11 October 1782 Elizabeth CARR daughter of John & Mary. Private baptism,
    received at the church 27 November
    7 April 1784 John CARR son John & Mary. Privately baptised, brought
    to the church 25 April
    26 January 1787 Charles CAR son John & Mary. Privately baptised, brought
    to church 2 February
    29 June 1788 Richard CARR son of John & Mary. Publickly baptised

Burials:

10 June 1783 Elizabeth CARR daughter of John & Mary
    25 March 1807 John CARR, aged 49
    24 June 1809 Ann CARR, aged 55
    10 July 1812 John CARR, aged 28
    7 February 1822 Caroline CARR, aged 17 months St Giles
    10 March 1825 Major CARR, aged 3 Near the church
    29 March 1837 Richard CARR, aged 9w, St Giles St
    21 January 1842 Mary CARR, aged 88, St Johns Rd
    27 May 1844 Sarah CARR, aged 52, North Parade

Marriages:

9 February 1804 George CARR, otp & Louisa WILSON, otp , by banns
    Witnesses: Thomas GODFREY Rhoda CARR

John CARR was not baptised at St Giles, nor was he married there. I do have the transcripts for St Ebbe & St Michael and have checked there for his baptism and marriage but no luck.

Here is Mary CARR in the 1841 census of Oxford St Giles:

HO107/891/6, folio 44, page 27
    St Johns Road

Mary CARR 85 Ind Born in county yes

cont..
    Last edited by janbooth; 30-09-2006 at 2:00 PM. Reason: Repetition

janbooth

Default Richard CARR

cont....

It is interesting that Richard CARR is not with wife Sarah on the 1841 census as there is no record of his burial in St Giles prior to the 1841 and he does appear to be alive in the 1851 census as this looks like him then:

HO107/1728, folio 114, page 12
    2 St Aldates St, St Martin, Oxford

Richard CARR Visitor Widr 62 Landed Proprietor Oxon Oxford

He is a visitor in the household of a Robert PIKE & wife Marianne.

The only one I can find in the 1841 who appears remotely possible is the following:

HO107/33/3, folio 21, page 35
    Bartholomew St, St Nicholas, Newbury

Ellen LILL? 45 Ind Born in county no
    Martha CARR 15 no
    Richard CARR 50 Ind no
    Eliza HOLT 20 F.S. no

But who knows whether he is your Richard or not. Anyway good luck and sorry not to be of more help.

Janet

lincs lass

Thank you very much Janet for all your help,on my Carr family.
    Best Regards
    Sheila.