Thread: Romany Smiths

bob graham

Default Romany Smiths

I don't know whether "Romany" could be classed as an occupation but I couldn't see where else to raise the subject. Mother and ancient uncle used to visit their GF's brickworks in Dunshelt, Auchtamuchty for holidays as children. Apparently there were always Romanies camped on the brickworks land and apparently quite welcome. The family name is Smith and I know that Smith is a popular Romany name. I'm particularly interested in William Smith who married Isabella Dunlop around 1821 and his son William who married Ann Paterson around 1838. He died 1894 allegedly aged 77. Are there any specific sites I could search or clues I should look for in the research?
    bob

A fountain of knowledge.

The Romany And Traveller Family History Society would probably be a good starting point.

I have some Romany Smiths in my family. William Smith b.circa 1790 Coleorton Leics married Ann Elliott (whos family lived at Willoughby on The Wolds Notts), had a daughter Maria in 1817 who married Christopher Gray of Lincolnshire. They were my 3 x grt grandparents. Their son Samuel married Deliah Smith daughter of Thomas Smith and Mary Brown.