Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    beaky1

Default Beale-missing relative

On 22nd September 1911 my Great Aunt left England and sailed to USA.
    Her real name was Maria Beale but she used the name Dorothy Beale when she entered the US she also said she was 34 years old but was in fact 37.
    I have tried searching passenger lists but can find no record -I dont know where she sailed from or to or the name of the ship.
    She married in the US a man called William Skidmore and they lived in Detroit.
    I think she used a different name because she was trying to get away from someone in the UK and did not want to be traced.
    Any ideas how Ican find out more?
    Thanks

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Out of curiousity
    How do you know that Maria and Dorothy are the same person?

Christine.

beaky1

Default Beale-missing relative

I have a letter where she explains to my grandma what she did

beaky1

It would appear the reason she used another name to enter the US was that she had already married in the UK and never divorced before marrying William Skidmore.
    She wrote a letter to my Grandmother (which I have) and explained what she had done.

Leander

Hello.

If she came through Ellis Island you might find her here: https://www.ellisisland.org/search/search_new.asp?

There were quite a few Beales who came to the USA in that time period. If she arrived under an assumed name and a less than accurate age/birthdate, it's going to be more difficult to find her.

I'm having a devil of a time finding either one of this couple in the 1920 and 1930 censuses. I will try looking again this weekend.

Best wishes,

Deb

Agnes

Hi Shirls

I also haven't found your Maria in the passenger lists unfortunately.

But looking for a William Skidmore in Michigan, I have just found this which I felt was very interesting. The wife's name isn't Maria but Dolly! I know from my own family that this is a nickname (My aunt Dorothy has always been known as Dolly)

Also on looking at the image, it shows that Dolly was born in England and her immigration year is shown as 1911, here are the details

I cannot read the road/street, but they are living in Detroit, Wayne, Michigan in the 1930 census

William Skidmore age 55, age at first marriage 21, he owns his home which is not a farm, value $6000, he was born Michigan and his father born New York as well as his mother. His occupation is shown as Draftsman and he is employed in an Auto factory. He is not a veteran of US military.

His wife is Dolly Skidmore, age 49, first married at age 39, she was born in England as were both her parents, year of immigration is 1911 and she is naturalized, no occupation.

Just thought it might be of some interest to you

Agnes

Agnes

1920 census

Transcribed as Dolly Bale (but looking at the image there is no doubt that it is either Beale or Beile) living in the household of Jennie B Black and son George B in, Detroit Ward 17, Wayne, Michigan

Her details are

Dolly Be?le, Maid, age 35, Single, immigration year is 1911 and she is shown as Alien, she was born England as were her parents, her occupation is shown as Maid Private F(amily)

Her age is out but as you have said she did alter it and if the same person, by 1930 she is getting near her real age.

To me this looks a pretty good match, see what you think

Agnes

Leander

Good job, Agnes! I was going to take a closer look this weekend, but you have
    done wonders with this one.

Deb

Agnes

Hi Deb

To be fair, I just thought I would look for a William Skidmore in Michigan, not holding out much hope as we had no idea of age or where born etc. To my mind there wasn't much of chance unless just one or two came up, when I saw four or five, I just thought yipee! Then immediately I saw one with a spouce called Dolly, looked at the image and you know the rest.

I'm not sure how Shirls feels but I really felt this is it, especially with the family story. So a case of looking through the 1920 for a Dolly Beale although it didn't come up with a soundex search, I saw it immediately when I searched for just Dolly!

So, what I'm saying is that in fact it turned out to be one of the easier searches

Agnes

beaky1

Smile

Thank you all so much - this certainly seems to be the right person.
    I have found a letter dated June 1944 and she was then living at 19320 Andora Ave detroit3.Dolly (Maria/Dorothy) was born in 1874 - we know she lied about her age to enter the US so the ages on the census would certainly be out. I think that Will could have originally been born in Canada but that is only something I remember hearing from my Grandmother.
    Thanks again Agnes you have done a great job.
    I just now have to try and find who she married in the UK prior to going to the US but as I have no idea when that would have been that may prove impossible.

Regards
    Shirley
    Last edited by beaky1; 01-10-2006 at 4:25 PM. Reason: duplicated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast