charliefred

Question Seeking info on Robert James Savage

I'm looking for any snippets of information on my grandparents, Robert James Savage and his wife Anastasia Grace (maiden name O'Toole). They were from Middlesbrough, and had one son, my father, Edward Patrick Savage (b1917-d1986). They left England and settled in New Zealand (Gore) around 1923. Any help would be appreciated.

ugly1

Smile Gore New Zealand Web Site for you

Hi
    Maybe this web site may be able to help you, I lived in Gore NZ for a few years and also looking for somebody who is contected to an O'Toole

All the Gore web sites are listed on Google New Zealand . An other sourse may be the Hokin Library in Dunedin NZ

The Gore Historical Museum celebrates Gore’s social history with a variety of displays ... Gore Historical Museum – free admission, donations appreciated. ...
    https://www.gorenz.com/index.cfm?fuse...tions.heritage -

Cheers ,
    Any further help you think I amy be able to supply, just reply

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Are you looking for information on them only after they were married, or are you also looking for information of their families before that time ie from census etc?

Michael

janbooth

Default Robert James SAVAGE

I don't know if you already have this, but there is a marriage registration in the December qtr 1915 at Whitehaven reg district, vol 10b, page 1549 of a Robert J SAVAGE and a corresponding entry for an Anastasia G TOOLE.

This looks like Anastasia in the 1891 census of Frizington, Arlecdon, Cumberland:

RG12/4312, folio 9, page 11
    21 James Street

Thomas TOOLE Head M 50 Iron Miner Ireland Wexford
    Ellen do Wife M 45 do do
    Michael do Son 11 Scholar Cumberland Arlecdon
    Thomas do Son 9 do do do
    Edward do Son 7 do do do
    Anastasia G do Daur 5 do do do

There is a marriage registration on FreeBMD of a Thomas TOOLE in the March qtr 1879, vol 10b, page 683 at Whitehaven reg district and a corresponding entry for an Ellen CAVANAGH which sounds a likely candidate for Anastasia's parents. Also a birth registration of Anastasia Grace TOOLE in the December qtr 1885 at Whitehaven reg district, vol 10b, page 596.

There is this family of SAVAGEs in the 1891 census of Arlecdon & Frizington which sound likely candidates for your Robert, but a copy of Robert & Anastasia's marriage certificate should confirm this:

RG12/4312, folio 75, page 45
    Arlecdon Road

Robert SAVAGE Head M 35 Iron Miner Cumbd Whitehaven
    Ellen do Wife M 34 Newcastle
    William do 11 Scholar do Rourdan
    Thos H do 9 do do do
    Robt do 7 do do do
    Ellen McBRIDE 3 do do
    James do 1 do do

No relationships for the children are shown. There is a birth registration for a Robert SAVAGE in the December qtr 1883, vol 10b, page 584 at Whitehaven reg district. Also a marriage registration in the December qtr 1876, vol 10b, page 899 at Cockermouth reg district of a Robert SAVAGE and a corresponding entry for an Ellen McBRYDE. Given the names of the 2 children on the bottom of the 1891 entry, this looks to be the probable marriage.

HTH

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

An alternative possibility??

Based on the fact that the marriage of Savage & Toole was in 1915 was Robert James Savage, and that there is a birth of a Robert James Dec 1886 at Bootle RD, the census shows a Robert J born in Millom, which is in Bootle RD, son of Patrick and Emiline, see below.

Births Dec 1886 (>99%)
    Savage Robert James Bootle 10b661

Births Dec 1885 (>99%)
    Toole Anastasia Grace Whitehaven 10b596

Marriages Dec 1915 (>99%)
    Savage Robert J Whitehaven 10b1549
    Toole Anastasia G Whitehaven 10b1549

1891 census RG12; Piece: 4317; Folio 71; Page 77
    55 Bowthorne Road, Cleator, Cumberland.

Patrick Savage, Head, married, age 39, Furnace Labourer, born Cleator Moor, Cumberland
    Emiline C Savage, wife, age 36, born Tavistock, Devon
    William R Savage, son, age 13, Scholar, born Millom, Cumberland
    Eliza J Savage, daur, age 10, Scholar, born Millom, Cumberland
    Patrick Savage, son, age 8, Scholar, born Millom, Cumberland
    John Savage, son, age 6, Scholar, born Millom, Cumberland
    Robert J Savage, son, age 5, Scholar, born Millom, Cumberland
    Richard J Savage, son, age 3, born Millom, Cumberland
    Thomas Savage, son, age 9 mths, born Cleator Moor, Cumberland

1901 census RG13; Piece: 4895; Folio: 135; Page: 7
    85 Bowthorne Road, Cleator, Cumberland.

Patrick Savage, Head, married, age 48, Iron Works Labourer, born Cleator Moor, Cumberland
    (wife not present – see below)
    Eliza J Savage, daur, age 20, single, domestic servant, born Millom, Cumberland
    Patrick Savage, son, age 18, single, Iron Works Labourer, born Millom, Cumberland
    John Savage, son, age 16, Iron Works Labourer, born Millom, Cumberland
    Robert J Savage, son, age 14, Iron Works Labourer, born Millom, Cumberland
    Richard J Savage, son, age 12, Scholar, born Millom, Cumberland
    Thomas Savage, son, age 10, Scholar, born Millom, Cumberland
    Clara C Savage, daur, age 5, born Millom, Cumberland
    Margaret Savage, daur, age 4, born Millom, Cumberland
    Also in house is visitor Rose McKewon, age 12.

Emeline Savage, age 44, married, visitor at 26 Duddon Street, Millom (McKewon family)

Michael

Terry59

Robert James Savage was my 1st cousin twice removed. I have some info on his family including photos. I still live in Millom where the Savage family lived (and still do).

Terry

Jan1954

Hello Terry - welcome to Brit-Gen,

Although still a member, charliefred has not visited the forum for a number of years. If you click on their user name on the left, a drop-down box will appear. One of the options is to send an email and I am sure that charliefred would be interested in your information.