Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mlmaler

Default Why to Australia alone

Hello Jenny!

For what its worth. I also am looking for relatives who came during the potatoe famine.

Last week I watch a documentary on to Canada or Death
    and it told the story of a family who left Ireland as 7.
    One child was held back before going on the ship because he was sick. Two children died before they got to Montreal. One daughter was taken off in Montreal because she was sick and died there. The father and son were pulled aside in Toronto because they were sick and they died. That left only the mother.

Perhaps your relative was pulled aside because she was sick and was lucky enough to recover and went to Australia later.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

I know that this is a very old thread dug back up

I see that there is a William SAULTRY born Co Sligo who married Masey McDonald in Victoria, Australia, in 1867 - reg 148.

I wonder if he was a brother to your lass?. She named one of her children William. His marriage certificate will have his parents named. I suppose that you have already been onto that.
    ChristineR

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by mlmaler View Post
    Hello Jenny!

For what its worth. I also am looking for relatives who came during the potatoe famine.

Last week I watch a documentary on to Canada or Death

Oh how I wish I had seen that...if you ever see it being rerun please let me know.
    I think there are alot of us who are searching for potato famine relatives. Mine ended up south of Hamilton, where did yours settle?

Sue
    Last edited by susan-y; 25-03-2009 at 1:22 AM. Reason: oops

Dalensue

Hi Jenny

We found the army records for Kearns Saltry only recently. They tell his age, his place of birth and provide a physical description of him.

If you PM me, I shall get you a copy

Dale

Jan1954

Hello Dale,

Jenny has not visited the forum for about 5 years, although she is still a member. If you click on her name, one of the options in the drop-down box is that of sending an email. Perhaps that could bring her back.

lavven

Hello Jenny, As you haven't mentioned Dorinda Saltry's marriage to Lemuel BRYENTON, and 8 children in Australia, presume you have all this information. Lemuel was a younger brother to my g.g.grandfather, Ishmael.
    Val C Gregory.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi everyone. Has anyone made headway on this search? I am one of the few Saltrys in the world and the origins of my last name have been quite the mystery.

Sligo Journal, 30 Nov 1849

Poor Law Commissioner's Office, Dublin, 23 Nov 1849
    SIR - I am directed by the Commissioners for administering the Laws of Relief of the Poor in Ireland, to state for the information of the Board of Guardians of Sligo Union, that the Commissioners have received a communication from the Colonial Land and Emigration Commissioners, from which it appears that the Orphan girls who emigrated from that Union to Port Phillip in September 1848 by the ship "Lady Kennedy", conducted themselves with great propriety during the voyage, and speedily obtained situations in the colony, with good wages, and that their subsequent conduct has been spoken of in satisfactory terms.
    I am at the same time to enclose an extract from a return enclosed in the communication which the Commissioners have received from the Emigration Office, showing the disposal of the girls on their arrival in the Colony.
    By order of the Commissioners, W Stanley, Secretary

The following is a list of emigrants per ship "Lady Kennedy" to Port Phillip, from Sligo Union, with the Name of the Emigrant, Name and Residence of Employer, Employment Terms and Wages :-

Mary Saltry, Mr. R Duffy, Melbourne, house maid, 12 months, £12 a year and rations
    Dorinda Saltry, Mrs Harles, Herdelberg, house servant, 6 months, £12 a year and rations
    Sarah Saltry, Mr R. Stephenson, Charlesworth, house maid, 12 months, £10 a year and rations

The pension record on FindMyPast for a Corpl. Kearns Saltry, 74th Foot, gives date of death 4 Aug 1846, age 59
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Re. post #18, I have correctly copied the name of the ship as it appears in the article - it reads "Lady Kennedy".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12