Thread: Waterloo?

PenelopeCarter

Default Waterloo?

GEORGE BOSWELL Born BIDFORD, Warwickshire, Served in the 81st Foot Regiment, Discharged aged 31 (1811-1822). One of the divisions of the 81st fought at Waterloo.
    I have just got George's discharge papers and would like to find out more about him, where exactly he served, and how he sustained his injuries, but not sure how to proceed. It says he served in Spain, France and America (I am not sure what country Waterloo was in prior to the formation of Belgium).

Any help as to where to go from here would be much appreciated.

neil1821

Hi,
    It was the 2nd Battalion of the 81st who were in Holland/Belgium in 1814/15 at the time of the Waterloo campaign. However, it was the 1st Battalion who served in North America c.1814. and in Spain before that.
    So based on what you've mentioned, I'd suggest that your man was in the 1st Battn and therefore not involved in Waterloo.
    Both were

For the battalion's movements, see https://www.regiments.org/deploy/uk/reg-inf/081-1.htm

Neil

PenelopeCarter

Many thanks for your reply. Will I be able to find more individual info re him? I know he married someone called Sarah from Chipping Camden, but no date or surname, or place where they married. Is there likely to be more military documentation where I would find this, the discharge paper was very brief and didn't give me any details.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by PenelopeCarter
    Mthere likely to be more military documentation where I would find this, the discharge paper was very brief and didn't give me any details.
    There is, to see what is available for the Army, see the TNA research guides on this link:
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...ndex.asp?j=1#b
    (Look at the links beginning 'British Army')
    Geoffers