jeffrey.bean

Default help with finding burial location in Blackburn?

Hello,

I'm trying to locate the burial location of some of my ancestors. They are David and Elizabeth Watt, David died in the third quarter of 1937 in Blackburn and Elizabeth died Jan 19, 1936, also in Blackburn. I was wondering if any one has access to the obit's from that time periond? I'm researching from the state's and hit a brick wall with there burial location.

Many thanks,
    Jeff

Glenys R Carr

Default Burials

Hi jeff,,, have been watching your Question with interest because I have a similar problem .... Have you tried cemsearch? They have been extremely helpful to me in my search for family.

Glenys

Reputation beyond repute

Providing you mean what you say - that they died in Blackburn and not just in Blackburn Registration District - the Local Authority is the first place to try
    https://www.blackburn.gov.uk/server.p...444&viewPage=1

There is an email address listed.

However, if you don't already have the death certificates, you should first get hold of them.

Deaths are registered in the district where the death occurred - not where they lived. They may have died in hospital which may have been in a different local authority area from the one in which they lived. The latter may be a more likely site for the burial or cremation.

For your information, by 1937, most burials & cremations were in local authority facilities.

jeffrey.bean

Glenys, thanks for the info. I have tried CEMSEARCH but so far they havent come across David and Eliz. Watt. Do you know if their transcribing MI's or going through the record books to obtain all the burials in a given cemetery?

Peter, I did obtain Eliz. Watt death cert. it state's she died at 173 Downham st. Blackburn, I'm still tring to obtain David's death cert.
    I'll try the site you provided.

Many thanks,
    Jeff