hawkinob

Default Evan Williams - Welshpool - 1841 census on please.

Hi,
    I am looking for an Evan Williams whose daughter, Ann born about 1812 was married in 1839 in Kent - the marriage certificate gives her father as a farmer and the 1851 says that Ann was born in Welshpool. So I guess Evan was possibly born around the 1780/90s. I'm hoping that the father and family might be on the 1841/1851.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Bob H.
    Perth, Western Australia.

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawkinob
    Hi,
    I am looking for an Evan Williams whose daughter, Ann born about 1812 was married in 1839 in Kent - the marriage certificate gives her father as a farmer and the 1851 says that Ann was born in Welshpool. So I guess Evan was possibly born around the 1780/90s. I'm hoping that the father and family might be on the 1841/1851.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Bob H.
    Perth, Western Australia.
    Bob,

There are a few Evan WILLIAMSes born around 1781 [plus or minus 10 years] and residing in Montgomeryshire, Wales:
    -- Aberhafesp Berriew: a 60-year-old shoemaker with wife, Mary, and children Elizabeth, 9, and Richard, 6; and a 50-year-old labourer with wife, Elizabeth, and children, Elizabeth, 27, Evan, 15, and Robert, 14.
    -- Castle Caereinion: a 50-year-old agricultural labourer with wife, Jane, and children, Margaret, 13, and Mary, 6.
    -- Guilsfield: a 55-year-old Agricultural labourer with wife, Mary, and children, Mary, 25, Evan, 22, Elizabeth, 18, Cariline [sic], 11, and Jane, 6
    -- Llanfihangel: a 60-year-old pauper, living alone; and a 55-year-old farmer with wife, Jane, and children. [I'll give a complete transcription of this one.]
    -- Llansaintffraid: an 80-year-old independent man, living alone.
    -- Llanwyddelan: a 50-year-old agricultural labourer with wife, Elizabeth.
    -- Moughtrey: a 60-year-old agrricultural labourer with wife, Mary, and children, Mary, 18, Francis, 14, and David, 12.
    -- Tref Eglwys: a 60-year-old taylor with wife, Margaret, and daughter, Elizabeth, 30.

To be continued...

Trish

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Default 2 of 2...

Census: 1841: HO107/1436/10 Folio 46 Page 9
    Address:Tygwyer, Tref Eglwys, Montgomeryshire
    -- Evan WILLIAMS 55 Farmer Y [for born in same county]
    -- Jane do 40 Y
    -- Jane do 20 Y
    -- Edward do 16 Y
    -- William do 12 Y
    -- Elizabeth do 10 Y
    -- Sarah do 9 Y

Bob, this one would seem to be the most promising but I have no idea where Tref Eglwys is in proximity to Welshpool.

As for men named Evan WILLIAMS born in Wales and living in England in 1841: only 2 show up, neither old enough to be Ann's father.

Broadening the search to anyone named Evan WILLIAM/S in Wales born between 1772 and 1792, inclusive, brings up 143 hits.

HTH,
    Trish

hawkinob

Default Evan Williams - Welshpool - 1841 census on please.

Thank you Trish for the information and your trouble and time taken. I'v copied your information and will use it and hopefully tie in with a bit of it. Tref Eglwys seems to be about 20 miles southwest of Welshpool, according to a road map I have, so could in the region.
    Evan Williams in Wales abit like throwing a dart and hoping!!! Mind when I do find the family I'll be well pleased.
    Thanks again.

Regards,
    Bob H.