19pibull67

Default unable to find record of marriage

help needed,
    im trying to find a record of a marriage certificate for frederick richardson trotter (1899)and mary ann mills(1899) they lived in whitehaven cumbria, any info would be a great help.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
    Firstly, I assume that the 1899 dates refer to their dates of birth and not the year they married.
    Do you know the year of birth of their first child? If so, work back from the quarter in which the birth was registered looking for the marriage registration. You should find it in the GRO Index, which can be viewed for free online at ancestry.

If they were born in 1899, then when you find one of the names the surname of the spouse should be in the next column. Obviously, you will need to check that the first names match the reference to the surname. (i.e. there might be a Fred Trotter but when you cross-check he married Brenda Mills, therefore the wrong Fred )
    Once you have the correct information of the quarter, year and the GRO reference, then you can send for the marriage certificate.
    If you pay by plastic, you can order online via
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    or alternatively follow the links at
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
    If you want clarification on anything please ask.
    Pam
    Last edited by Guest; 29-09-2007 at 5:07 PM. Reason: Link to ancestry

19pibull67

thank you for the help,

19pibull67

hi pam, i looked where you said on them links and after hours of searching still could not find the couple, i am presently rechecking my details and dates but still trying , thanks

Geoffers

When and where was their eldest child born and what does his/her birth certificate record? This can give some clues as to when and where you might start looking for a marriage.

Geoffers

Jo Simpsons

There is a possible record showing on Ancestry Marriage Index,
    1920, Jan-Mar, Whitehaven, 10b 1269,
    Frederick R Trotter Mary A Mills

Jo

19pibull67

jo thank you so much,