marymog

Default who were the 1st royals....

I have a birth certificate, and the father was a corporal 1st Royals
    (june 1860) (Portsmouth Hampshire)

How do I find the history of this regiment...or even what it was...
    the web sites are very confusing.

What was the 1st royals????, if i know what it is maybe I can google on!!

Does anybody know??

mm

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi Mary

Could be the Royals bit of the Blues and Royals, the Household Cavalry/Life Guards. One of my Great Uncles was a Trooper in the Life Guards and died in the 1880s while serving with them at Portsmouth. They are the soldiers in Whitehall who the Tourists try to get a response from. No doubt the details will follow shortly from those more expert.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Guy Etchells

Yes the Blues & Royals (formed in 1969) are made up of the Royal Horse Guards (the Blues) raised in 1661 as the Royal Regiment of Horse and the Royal Dragoons (1st Dragoons) raised as the Tangier Troop of Horse in 1661.
    Cheers
    Guy

marymog

thanks for you replys but Im still none the wiser

ok

so where would I look them up?? and what will I look up??

this is very confusing!!!

mm

pwenlock

Could also be the 1st Royal Regiment (also known as the Royal Scots).

www.
    regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/001RScot.htm

marymog

thank you paul,

if I understand rightly, this regiment were in the 2nd opium war!! 1857-60.

is this correct??

mm

Patsy Norman

Default Husband was a Royal Dragoon & A Blues & Royal

1st Royal Dragoons known as The Royals originally known as the Tangier Horse .. they fought on the Commonwealth side in the English Civil War....in 1968 the year when all regiments got amalgamated they were paired off with the Blues .... the one's with the red plumes.... historically they fought on the side of the Cavaliers...they became .....The Blues and Royals ....now joined up with the lifeguards ...They are known now as " The Household Cavalry" My husband is a veteran of both regiments.... if you list what you wish to find out ...I will pass it on to him as he runs a web page for all those that were in all three Life Guards & Blues & Royals...but only old soldiers...its private...Mike knows a great deal about them all... also has contacts with others who know more than him....He won't return until this evening .......so will let him know

Regards

Patsy

Patsy Norman

Smile 1st Royals

Mike has two web site ......The Royal Dragoons Website he has for everyone....it is called ......
    https://
    eagle105-club.com

.......anyone can go in there and look up the history of the regiment.....please sign the guest book....

Royals left crimea May 1856 on the Troopship ...Himalaya landed in Portsmouth.....later went to Aldershot....June 1856 marched to Southampton and embark on a ship to Dublin remained in Dublin & Curragh 1856 - 1861 when they returned to England ......Never went to China.....in the Opium Wars.....

Got my hand rapped!!!!! they never fought on the commonwealth forces in the civil war ......They were formed by King Charles 2nd and he named them for his wife catherine of braganza .......as she brought Tangier 's with her Dowry ...they were formed mostly of men that had fought on the parliamentarian side.... they first fought against the Duke of Monmouth in the Monmouth Rebellion....and later went to Tangiers.....

Hope this helps ..

Patsy Norman

PS .....Anyone can read the whole history of the regiment at the above url ......it seems its just the Household Cavalry Regiment Blues/Royals/Lifeguards one that is private........as there are serving soldiers on that one...?????

Crofter

The 1st Royals could be the 1st Battallion The Royal Scots. Up to 1881 they were known as the First, or the Royal Regiment of Foot.

In 1860 they embarked for service in China. This would have placed them at an embarkation port. Could very well have been Portsmouth.

Hope this helps.
    Crofter.