Thread: Colebourn

Ann AW

Question Colebourn

Hello,

Is anyone else researching Colebourns (Coleborne, Coleburne etc, etc) in Derbyshire? I am trying to find the birth of my 2xgreat grandfather, who according to his attestation papers was born in Derby, Derbyshire c1839, his father was called Timothy, (on the 1891 Lancashire census James was now from Chesterfield) in September 1858 James joined the 84th Regt of Foot and in January 1861 married Eliza Carney in Manchester. James died in Salford in 1892.

Any help would be really appreciated, as I have hit the proverbial brick wall once again.

Here's hoping,
    Ann

Dear Ann,

I have all three volumes of the 1851 Census Indexes for Derby Borough, produced by the Derbyshire FHS, and checked for your James COLEBOURN born c. 1839-1840. However, I'm afraid he was nowhere to be seen. There was a James COLEBURN aged 20 living at St. Peter's Churchyard, Derby St. Peters (Ref. 2143 Fol 418 Sch 13), but he would have been born c. 1830 which is ten years too early. Nor could I see any Timothys.

I found a record on the IGI of a James COLEBURN baptised on 16 Sep 1839 at Staveley, Derbyshire (not far from Chesterfield), son of Timothy and Hannah. I wonder if this could be yours?

Cheers, Brett

Ann AW

Thumbs up Re-COLBOURNE

Hi Brett,
    Many thanks for your reply re-James COLEBOURN. Yes, I have seen the entry for James born Staveley, which I believe is close to Chesterfield. I was not quite convinced that it was him though, as according to his age on his enlistment papers he would have been born about March time not September, but maybe there is a crack in that brick wall.
    Many thanks once again, I appreciate your effort and time spent.
    Ann

Hi Ann,

A September baptism in no way rules out a March birth! In fact, I would regard that sort of gap between birth and baptism as not unusual, although not exactly the norm.

Regards, Brett

Russell Saunders

Default Colebournes

Hi There,

I have Colebournes ( on my wifes side) who lived in Radbourne & Duffield from 1770s through to 1850's. Can be seen at my site

Any connections?

Regards

Russell

Ann AW

Unhappy Re-Colebourn

Hello Russell,

No can't see any connections. but then I haven't got back very far yet.
    Regards,
    Ann
    Last edited by Ann AW; 09-11-2004 at 3:40 PM. Reason: Typo