Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Young
    Neil could left-justify this column, then most items would be 100% visible.
    the column has been changed - more comments please.
    Neil

Mary Young

Great! Links all visible. Now another teenzy niggle (well, you did ask )
    Why the horizontal line after each link? Perhaps remove that, and the Links could be closer together?
    Must say I admire you. I haven't yet got my head round frames and/or fly-out menus, drop-down menus or drop-down boxes.

Great! Links all visible. Now another teenzy niggle (well, you did ask )
    Why the horizontal line after each link? Perhaps remove that, and the Links could be closer together?
    Must say I admire you. I haven't yet got my head round frames and/or fly-out menus, drop-down menus or drop-down boxes.
    Hi Mary
    I have veiwed this on 3 different PC's and can only see the hyperlink blue line?
    I must say that I have used a table with the borders turned off. Could it be this that your veiwer is picking up?
    I will have a look at trying to do it without the table, I can not remember why I used a table in the first place.
    Now for the technical stuff, the old site is written using FrontPage and the new one with it drop down menus was done using AceHTML 6 Pro (a free software but unlike FrontPage you have to know a bit about HTML before attemptting to use it). For all the codes from drop down menus, mouse disabled etc I use, https://www.dynamicdrive.com/
    Cheers
    Neil

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Hi Neil

Have viewed your Page. Well done

What I would do is dress it up a bit by adding a background (some color) also shorten the heading to

Genealogy & Local History
    Clay Cross, near Chesterfiled
    County of Derbyshire

Also make the headings of the categories like ' History Pages ' ~ ' Photos & Maps ' ~ ' Trade Directories ' etc etc stand out a bit or make the text bold and slightly larger.

Just my idea

Cheers

Bill

Mary Young

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Wilson
    Hi Mary
    I have veiwed this on 3 different PC's and can only see the hyperlink blue line?
    I must say that I have used a table with the borders turned off. Could it be this that your veiwer is picking up?
    Weird - today the lines have vanished. Must have been a glitch in my Firefox yesterday.
    Thanks for the pointer to https://www.dynamicdrive.com/ that looks really useful. I'm trying to be less reliant on FP, but moving to CSS is a steep learning curve.

Mythology

"Must have been a glitch in my Firefox yesterday."

If so, then my Firefox is telepathic and decided to follow the example of yours.

Whatever, they've gone now, and although I'm no lover of frames, largely because too many people use them just to be clever when there is absolutely no need for them (I hate sites full of "clever" bits just for the sake of it), in this case, like the Abney Park site, the use of frames does not seem at all unreasonable to me.
    Now that it's been revised so that, even at 800x600, I can *see* the links in the left hand frame, I prefer the old site.

The only thing I would say is that there are three links all saying "Photographs", which could lead to confusion. I appreciate that you want to keep the wording short here, but even (1), (2) and (3) would help.

Weird - today the lines have vanished. Must have been a glitch in my Firefox yesterday.
    Thanks for the pointer to https://www.dynamicdrive.com/ that looks really useful. I'm trying to be less reliant on FP, but moving to CSS is a steep learning curve.
    Hi Mary
    The lines disappeared because I removed the table
    Yes CSS is steep and one day I will understand what all these codes do...

Quote Originally Posted by Mythology
    The only thing I would say is that there are three links all saying "Photographs", which could lead to confusion. I appreciate that you want to keep the wording short here, but even (1), (2) and (3) would help.
    Hi Myth
    Cheers for this, I have described the pages differently on the new (not favoured) version, so I will change the titles to relate to the contents.
    Thanks
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Rove
    Hi Neil

Have viewed your Page. Well done

What I would do is dress it up a bit by adding a background (some color) also shorten the heading to

Genealogy & Local History
    Clay Cross, near Chesterfiled
    County of Derbyshire

Also make the headings of the categories like ' History Pages ' ~ ' Photos & Maps ' ~ ' Trade Directories ' etc etc stand out a bit or make the text bold and slightly larger.

Just my idea

Cheers

Bill
    Hi Bill
    Regarding colour, different people have commented on this all ready. I did have some with a blue background, although initially I thought it looked right, I have over time remove it has I grew tired of seeing it.
    Noted about the heading, will look at it later.

Title, it is long for a simple reason, not many people have heard of Clay Cross, so I adP>Clay Cross, near Chesterfiled
    County of Derbyshire

Just my idea

Cheers

Bill[/QUOTE]Hi Bill
    Regarding colour, different people have commented on this all ready. I did have some with a blue background, although initially I thought it looked right, I have over time remove it has I grew tired of seeing it.
    Noted about the heading, will look at it later.
    Title, it is long for a simple reason, not many people have heard of Clay Cross, so I added the other bit, I suppose this could come in the introduction paragraph.
    thank
    Neil

Hello all

I have made the changes to both sites which have been suggested.
    Although I have enjoyed this exercise, I think I will stick with the old design unless there is a increase of support for the new one.
    Cheers
    Neil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12