Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    jmduke

Default 17th Foot and Royal Canadian Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by cleder View Post
    Thank you China for your reply, we hadn't realised they had changed the spelling.Do you know if there are any records online that we could check?
    Your GGGF's story is similar to that of my own GGF William Duke - Colour Sgt in the 17th Foot, service in Ireland, Crimea and Canada, transferred to RCR, reduced in rank to private (for drunkeness). There is a good source of Quebec BMD records accessible at our public library. If you are still seeking information about your GGF Millett, I would be pleased to look him up on my next visit. Let me know. Also, Chambly was the site of a fort, built originally by the French and used from time to time by British forces until about 1860. It is now a national historic site (https://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/qc/fortc...natcul2e_E.asp)
    JMD

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by cleder View Post
    Thanks again Geoffers for the quick reply! I hadn't realised that there was a supplement to the registers, I have since checked them but to no avail! My gtgrandfather (William Millett) was born somewhere in Quebec. On 1 census it says Quebec, another says West Chambley and on his marriage certificate Montreal, so I'm not quite sure! When troops are posted abroad and they have children, are they required to register the birth in the country they are born in? As far as his marriage is concerned we have ordered the microfilm for Loughrea from the LDS in the hope that we will find something there.
    The 100th foot is affilliated with The Royal Canadian Rifles from the link you gave, he must have joined them towards the end of his career in the army. It would be interesting to find out where and with whom he spent most of his army career, but I guess we will never find out. I am hoping to get to Kew in a couple of weeks to look at TNA so I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before I go.

Cleder
    West Chambley is close to Montreal, in the province of Quebec. I will look up in the Druin collection as I have a sub to A*.ca (after dinner)
    I had a chance to look but there seem to be a few Millets born in various parts of Quebec, the earliest being 1877. If you could supply names of father, wife and children and approx. ages it might help to know exactly who to look for.
    Last edited by v.wells; 28-06-2008 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Had to add .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123