Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Question Herrison/Hennison Hospital, Charminster

I have just received a death certificate and the death was at the Herrison or Hennison Hospital, Charminster.

I have looked at various maps and on BT but can find no record of this hospital. The certificate was issued in October 1970, so it is probably no longer open.

Does anyone know where this hospital was? Any help would be most welcome

Regards

Pauline

Reputation beyond repute

Present name
    Herrison Hospital

Previous name(s)
    Dorset County Lunatic Asylum (1832 - 1919)
    Dorset County Mental Hospital (1920 - c.1940)

Address
    Herrison Dorchester DT2 9RL

Foundation Year

Records at Dorset Record Office

Also the Society of Genealogists has Charminster Herrison Hospital MIs

Starting to feel at home

Thank you so much Peter, I thought someone on the site would have the answer, just didn't expect it to be so quick and with a link to photos.

Brilliant!

Regards

Pauline

Reputation beyond repute

Have you noticed the special rule? To take a photo of a grim institution, always choose a dull day!

Lady Karen

Thumbs up My Nan

Hello,

did you have muck luck in your search about Herrison? Do you know wher your relative was buried? My Nan died at Herrison at the age of 40 in 1962 and we have been trying to locate her grave. We were initially told that she was buried within the grounds of the hospital near the chapel (which has now been developed and there is a car park over some of the graves) but then found out that she is in actual fact in a proper cemetery in a near by village. If you need anymore help in searching or need a nudge in the right direction, let me know as we have loads of info....

Ka

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for your reply. The replies I had are all above. This told me all I had asked for and was a big help.

I have found in the past, that knowing where a person died, and finding where they are buried/cremated are two very different things. If in a village, then usually no problem, but a big town or city with load of possible sites can be almost impossible, unless you live near and can visit all the grave places available.

The person who died at Herrison Hospital was Henry Charles NEWLYN. He died on the 12th October 1970 at the age of 89. I have no idea if there is a marker or even a grave. If this rings a bell, then great.

Regards

Pauline
    Last edited by pollymusic; 17-09-2006 at 11:20 AM.

freebird

Default Herrison

undefinedundefinedundefined
    I have just come across this forum. I live at Herrison. There are still some gravestones in the grounds near the chapel. I will go down there one day and see if I can find Henry NEWLYN's stone. The gravestones have been moved several times over the years, most recently because the chapel is now a health club, and they wanted to put drains where the stones stood. The stones are now erected near the boundary wall.

Reputation beyond repute

Dorset Monumental Inscriptions Vol 12 (Herrison Hospital Chapel)
    Published by Somerset & Dorset FHS

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Freebird...that would be great.

Peter, I take it that this is a new publication. I will see if I can obtain a copy.

Pauline

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast