cirstybewick

Default exchanged nuptial vows

hello
    i recevied some papers todays from the u.s.a about my great grandmother ada lillian fletcher formally davies she married my great grandfather william albert fletcher in 1912. william died in ww1.

she met a man called george fletcher (although i am not happy with he's surname being fletcher i have been told it is not)

in the u.s.a papers it has them celebrating there 50th anniversary
    at the bottom it says exchanged nuptial vows 5th feb 1919.

does this mean they were married????

i have looked for a marriage for these 2 but haven't come up with any thing as yet???

these are not living people!!!
    if anyone wants to take a look at the newspapers i will pm them to you.

kind regards
    cirsty

Procat

To exchange nuptial vows is a term for the marriage ceremony.

The fact that the newspaper recorded their anniversary does not mean that there ever was a ceremony however. It may simply have been a continuation of a story they had been telling for years.

On the other hand of course, it may well have been true.

cirstybewick

hi
    it say's on the paper that it was in liverpool but i haven't come across a marriage for them?????

regards
    cirsty

Procat

The marriages on FreeBMD are 99% complete for that time frame and I can not find them. Perhaps they were never married.

cirstybewick

hi
    yes i have come to belive that aswell, i am not a hundred per-cent sure that is he's surname i have been trying to trace he's sister margaret hetherington to see if that was he's name or if that was her married name it would give a madien name!!!!

but seeing as i dont have a birth year i am at a lost!!

cirsty

Procat

I searched on Free BMD for christian name of Ada with husband George. No hits for a woman with the surname of Davies of Fletcher. Same when I searched for Lillian.

You do not need to put in the full name of the person - though it may return a 'too many hits' message.

cirstybewick

ok thanks for looking i will carry on with my search.

cirsty

Procat

Good luck.

cirstybewick

thanks lol