Thread: Shopkeeper

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tomp

Question Shopkeeper

Good day

I'm sure this is obvious to everyone except me but what would a shopkeeper sell? My gg grandfather was a shopkeeper in Smethwick in the 1840s and I was curious as to what type of shop he would have had. Would a shopkeepers description vary from location to location in the U.K.? Thanks for any help. By the way he ended up being a cabinet maker before and after he emigrated to the U.S.

Thanks again.

Tom
    Last edited by Tomp; 29-10-2004 at 1:26 AM. Reason: add signature

AnnB

Default Shopkeepers

The description of 'shopkeeper' on a census, is not particularly helpful! The shop concerned could have sold almost anything, for example, he could have been a grocer, ironmonger, draper, confectioner, tobacconist, bookseller, chemist, house furnisher, bootmaker/shoemaker, butcher, greengrocer, baker, etc. - the list is almost endless. It is possible that he was a general shopkeeper, which means he sold a bit of everything (we used to have lots of these type of shops over here, they tended to be known as 'corner shops'). Anyway, you might find out more by looking at a trade directory which covers the Smethwick area. Trade directories list the names, addresses and occupations of tradesmen and others for the area they cover. Leicester University has an on-line site which might help. You can find it on www.historicaldirectories.org.
    Hope this helps a bit
    Ann

Tomp

Default Shopkeeper

Ann

Thank your for your reply. I thought that may be the case. I'm a member of the Smethwick Local History Society so I'm going to see if I can tap some knowledge there.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Tomp; 29-10-2004 at 5:43 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Rod Neep

What was his name?

What was his address?

The information that you need will be incredibly easy to find in one of the Staffordshire directories.

Tomp

Default Shopkeeper

Thanks Rod

His name was John Prince and he was on Rolfe St. I have Pigot's 1842 Staffordshire but am not able to find him listed there. The other dates don't fit since according to his children's , certified copy of an entry of birth, he was there from 1841 until he emigrated in 1849. I'm sure not saying he isn't listed because if there are two shirts in the closet and I want the red one I can't find it.

Tom