jeanwatts1

Smile Ferry man at Caputh

Today after Two years of searching, i THINK i have found my 4xg,grandfather,Alexander Fergusson, on his death certificate 1855 his occupation is given as ferryman, his place of death was Boat of Caputh, His age was 79 and he had resided in Caputh for 57 years, but was born in Blair Atholl, his father was William Fergusson, a crofter, his mother was Isabella Robertson, To completley verify my connection I need to Know if on the 1841 census he had a son William aged 19 living with him, In 1851 William was in Liverpool and married,
    Can any one help,
    Thank you,
    Jean

jimblack

Default Ferry man at Caputh

Dear Jean

You have probably obtained information about the 1841 census by now. However, in case not, the details are as follows: Alexander Ferguson – age 65 – ferryman; Janet Ferguson – age 60: Elizabeth – 25: Janet – age 25: John – age 25: William – age 20 – (millwright). All were born in Perthshire.

If it would be of interest I can also let you have details of gravestone inscription in Caputh churchyard plus some anecdotes about Alexander from Alexander Muir Mackenzie’s booklet on The Boat of Caputh.

best wishes
    Jim

jeanwatts1

Default Ferry man at Caputh

Dear Jim,
    Thank you for the information on the 1841 Census, That IS my family, William the Millwright was my GG Grandfather, He moved to Liverpool and married there in 1848,
    I would dearly love to have the information you have kindly offered, because i know that Alexander Fergusson and Janet Fergusson nee Mcfarlane Had other Children that had died before 1855,
    Once again Jim thank you,
    Warmest regards,
    Jean,

jimblack

Default Ferry Man at Caputh

Dear Jean
    I was pleased that Alexander Ferguson proved to be your ancestor.

The memorial inscription for Alexander and a range of other family members from a tombstone in Caputh Graveyard reads as follows:
    "Susan Kydd died 23rd Dec. 1883 aged 78 years, Elizabeth Ferguson died 15th June 1893 aged 8.
    Erected by John Ferguson, Boat of Caputh, in memory of his father Alexr. Ferguson who died 15th Jany. 1855 in his 80th year, his mother who died 3rd Augt. 1858 aged 77 years, also his sisters Catherine who died 21st Decr 1836 aged 36 years, Margaret who died 5 Jany, 1823 aged 13 years, Anne who died in Glasgow 20 Octr, 1854 aged 38 years, Margaret who died 13 July 1834 aged 10 years, his niece Maggie who died 7 Sepr. 1865 aged 23 years, his nephew Alexander Kidd who died 3rd Feby. 1868 aged 28 years, the above John Ferguson died 12 October 1874 aged 59 years."

You are fortunate that Alexander’s death occurred in 1855 – the year when statutory registration commenced in Scotland. His death certificate should provide the names and occupation of both parents, that of his wife and how long he had resided in the Caputh district.

When Caputh Ferry was replaced with a bridge in 1888, the local landowner, Sir Alexander Muir Mackenzie published a booklet setting out the history of The Boat of Caputh. It’s contents are too lengthy to reproduce here but if you would care to let me have by e-mail ([email protected]) a forwarding address, I will send you a photocopy together with a couple of copies of old photographs of the ferry taken in 1888.

Meanwhile, here are one or two snippets from the booklet where the Fergusons are mentioned:
    “In the early part of the [19th] century the boatman was one “Boaty Proudfoot”, and as the Ferry was then in a very primitive state, and… loading and unloading was a matter of difficulty if not danger, one Alexander Ferguson was brought to Caputh as his assistant.
    The building of the Bridge of Dunkeld by the Duke of Athole in 1808-9 set free the old East Ferry, and Ferguson, who was well known in the district for his “skill at the oars” was soon installed as assistant, and probably successor to Proudfoot.” [This appears to suggest that Alexander worked for a while on the East Ferry at Dunkeld. If so, you might consult a recently published book – “Dunkeld, Telford’s Finest Highland Bridge” by Christopher R Ford. It does not mention Alexander by name but provides some background on the Dunkeld ferries. Proudfoot or his ancestor was still living at Boatlands in 1841 – JB]
    The launch of a new chain boat in 1820 was remembered by an old lady who died in 1887 aged 90 who recalled that as she had been busy working at the Manse,
    “We did not get a sail that nicht on the Jane Mackenzie [name of new boat], which all the fowk got free by Sir Alexander’s orders. But ‘the Miss’ [the minister’s daughter] was very ‘complaisant,’ and gave me and the other servant girl a saxpense to go doun and have a sail. But Sandy Ferguson wadna tak’ the money, being obliged to the minister, and gied us a sail for naething.”

“John Ferguson [Sandy’s son] will be remembered as a boatman by many of this generation. Cheery, pawky, and keen of wit, he was a prince of boatmen. How merrily would “she” rattle across the Tay under his guidance… At one of the convivial meetings of the Delvine Curling Club, John Ferguson was called upon to return thanks for the “Navy”, as being more connected with water than any of his comrades, and this was his reply: “I have in my time sailed mair than many times the distance round tha warld, an’ that is mair ower [more over] fresh-water than some wha caas themselves sailors hae dune ower saut [salt].” This was rough on the mariners”

I hope the above will be of some interest to you.

Best wishes
    Jim