jeffrey.bean

Default British subject born in Scotland

Hello, does anyone have 2 credits to spare to Scotlands people?

I have a relation, James Spencer that was born in Scotland approx 1770. I did a search between 1769-1771 and 2 hits pop up in the parish register on the above site. James shows up in the 1851 English census as "British subject born in Scotland".

Thank you,
    Jeff

Mary Young

Hi, Jeff
    I searched for "James Spencer born 1769-1771" but no hits (nb the free search at scotlands people is for surname only).
    Widening the timeframe to 1765-1775 yields only one James Spencer, born/baptised? in Coldstream, Berwickshire Feb. 10 1765, father George Spencer. ref 733/00, item 0001 (no image available).
    I wonder if James (born in Scotland) followed the Scottish naming pattern with his children, i.e. first son named for the paternal grandfather?

jeffrey.bean

Mary,

Many thanks for the reply. I have hit a brickwall with my 4th GGranfather, John Spencer b. abt 1790, in Ulverston, Lancashire. I ordered his 1838 marriage cert., but his fathers name was'nt listed. In the 1841-51 census there is James an Uncle born in Scotland living with them. I'm tring to go sideways, and pick up the trail again. In th ecensus James birth year is given as 1770. Given his age at the time of the census, your information may be correct.

On a side note could you do a search, or can you recommend a site.I'm looking for a David Watt married to Elizabeth Spencer, married between 1871-1876. David was born in Scotland, Elizabeth in Ulverston, Lancashire. I havent found any mention of this marriage in England.

Thank you,
    Jeff Spencer

Mary Young

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey.bean
    'm looking for a David Watt married to Elizabeth Spencer, married between 1871-1876. David was born in Scotland, Elizabeth in Ulverston, Lancashire.
    Hi, Jeff
    I searched scotlands people using wider parameters. Sorry no marriage in Scotland, i.e., no male WATT married any female SPENCER 1865-1881.

jeffrey.bean

Thanks for taking a look.