wendy stevens

Default Parish records for church nearest to Militia Barracks Huntingdon

Thomas Stevens served in the 31st (Huntingdon) Regiment of Foot until 1864. He then became a colour sergeant in the Hunts Militia, so was still living in the Barracks in 1881.
    During the 1860s he married Emma Spiller Taggett but I have been unable to find the marriage.
    Their first child appears to have been Mary Moon Taggett Stevens b.26 june 1867. Other children were Sarah Jane,Thomas,Emily Grace and William Henry.
    I think they may have been christened at the church nearest to the militia barracks -? Brampton.
    Can anyone please help re parish records of marriage and christenings for above family?
    Wendy

Geoffers

The record of marriage and also births may be in the army returns. 1837online (pay-per-view) has the index to (Army) Chaplains' returns of marriages 1796-1880 online. If you find a reference then you can apply for a copy of the certificate.

The birth of children may either be in the Regimental Registers of births 1760-1924 or the (Army) Chaplains' returns of births 1796-1880 - these are also on 1837online.

The Regimental Registers of marriages are not indexed, you will need to contact the FRC for them to carry out search. They should be able to do this as you have the regiment. If the FRC find the entry then you can pay for a copy of the certificate.

If you know where the bride was born/living in 1861 these may be good places to look for a marriage in a parish church.

Geoffers

Wendy Woo

Default Stevens

Hi Wendy

This is all I could find but at least its a start, I hope it helps.
    ps I dont know where you live but I live near Brampton so if there is anything I can do let me know. The place this family was born is now RAF Brampton,

regards

Wendy

Emily Grace Stevens
    Female

Christening: 02 NOV 1873 All Saints,St John, , Huntingdon, England

Sarah Jane Stevens
    Female

Christening: 10 OCT 1869 All Saints,St John, , Huntingdon, England

wendy stevens

Thank you for your suggestions re Regimental records etc. I shall follow up.

Regards
    Wendy

wendy stevens

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Woo
    Hi Wendy

ps I dont know where you live but I live near Brampton so if there is anything I can do let me know. The place this family was born is now RAF Brampton,

regards

Wendy

Emily Grace Stevens
    Female

Sarah Jane Stevens
    Female

Dear Wendy
    Thanks for your help. As we live in S. Bucks it is not easy for us to visit Huntingdon. As the family apparently had connections with Abbotts Ripton perhaps the other children were christened there. Also,it is thought that Thomas Stevens was born in Abbotts Ripton c1827. We would like to know names of parents- presumably on parish record of baptism. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Wendy

wendy stevens

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Woo
    Hi Wendy

regards

Wendy

Emily Grace Stevens
    Female

Sarah Jane Stevens
    Female

Hello again

Forgot to mention that birth years for 'other' children are
    Mary Moon Taggett Stevens June 1867
    Thomas Stevens 1876
    William Henry Stevens July 1878

Wendy

venturess

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wendy stevens
    Thomas Stevens served in the 31st (Huntingdon) Regiment of Foot until 1864. He then became a colour sergeant in the Hunts Militia, so was still living in the Barracks in 1881.
    During the 1860s he married Emma Spiller Taggett but I have been unable to find the marriage.
    Their first child appears to have been Mary Moon Taggett Stevens b.26 june 1867. Other children were Sarah Jane,Thomas,Emily Grace and William Henry.
    I think they may have been christened at the church nearest to the militia barracks -? Brampton.
    Can anyone please help re parish records of marriage and christenings for above family?
    Wendy
    Mary Moon Taggett was the daugher of Josiah Taggett and Grace Spiller (nee Moon). Both Josiah and Grace had been previously married (both of their spouse' had died).

Mary Moon Taggett married Charles Ernest Price in Stokd Damerel, Devon and glad 6 children.

Josiah was was my gr-gr-great-grandfather.

1881 CENSUS

Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
    Thomas STEVENS Head M Male 53 Abbots Ripton, Huntingdon, England Color Sergeant Hunts Militia
    Emma STEVENS Wife M Female 35 St Germains, Cornwall, England
    Mary M.S. STEVENS Daur Female 13 Huntingdon, Huntingdon, England Scholar
    Sarah J. STEVENS Daur Female 11 Huntingdon, Huntingdon, England Scholar
    Emily G. STEVENS Daur Female 7 Huntingdon, Huntingdon, England Scholar
    Thomas STEVENS Son Male 5 Huntingdon, Huntingdon, England Scholar
    William H. STEVENS Son Male 2 Huntingdon, Huntingdon, England

------------------have been christened at the church nearest to the militia barracks -? Brampton.
    Wendy[/QUOTE]

Mary Moon Taggett was the daugher of Josiah Taggett and Grace Spiller (nee Moon). Both Josiah and Grace had been previously married (both of their spouse' had died).

Mary Moon Taggett married Charles Ernest Price in Stokd Damerel, Devon and glad 6 children.

1881 CENSUS

Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
    Thomas STEVENS Head M Male 53 Abbots Ripton, Huntingdon, England Color Sergeant Hunts Militia
    Emma STEVENS Wife M Female 35 St Germains, Cornwall, England
    Mary M.S. STEVENS Daur Female 13 Huntingdon, Huntingdon, England Scholar
    Sarah J. STEVENS Daur Female 11 Huntingdon, Huntingdon, England Scholar
    Emily G. STEVENS Daur Female 7 Huntingdon, Huntingdon, England Scholar
    Thomas STEVENS Son Male 5 Huntingdon, Huntingdon, England Scholar
    William H. STEVENS Son Male 2 Huntingdon, Huntingdon, England

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Source Information:
    Dwelling Militia Barracks
    Census Place Huntingdon St John, Huntingdon, England
    Family History Library Film 1341384
    Public Records Office Reference RG11
    Piece / Folio 1604 / 49
    Page Number 29

Warmly, Patricia Ann Taggett
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last edited by venturess; 15-06-2006 at 1:53 AM. Reason: NEW INFORMATION - 1881 CENSUS

venturess

Post Emma SPILLER TAGGETT

Quote Originally Posted by venturess

Warmly, Patricia Ann Taggett
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    EMMA SPILLER TAGGETT

Emma birth was registered as below:

England and Wales Civil Registration: 1837-1983
    Apr-May-Jun Quarter
    Emma Tagget Spiller was born in St. Germans, Cornwall
    Volume 9, Page 95

Until now, I had now idea what happened to Emma, I HAVE THE FAMILY TREE dating back to the mid-1700's.

Emma was the first born daughter to Josiah Taggett and Grace (nee Moon) Spiller. Her parents were married on 30 August, 1845. Emma had 5 sisters and 2 brother with a further step-sister (Patience, my great-great grandmother), and two step-brothers (Thomas and William Anthony).

I am so looking forward to communicating with you Wendy.

Big Hug.... Patricia.

venturess

Wink Emma Spiller Taggett (JAGGETT)

Sorry Wendy:

I keep on forgetting yo mention that I found the marriage registration for Emma Spiller Jaggett to Thomas Stevens as taking place in Stoke Damerel, Devon. Her sister - Mary Moon and her step-brother William TAGGET lived in Stoke Damerel/Plymouth at the time.

Please feel free to visit the Taggett Family Tree online.

Patricia Ann Taggett