Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Question Carrig Island Burials

Where would someone living on Carrig Island on the Lower Shannon around 1850-1870 have been buried if they were not a Catholic? The people I am looking for had the surname Vaughan.

Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

sadler

Default Carrig Island/Vaughan

Hello Peter.

Records of deaths/burials in Ireland are very sparse if your ancestors was a catholic, if on the otherhand he/she was Church of Ireland then you stand a far better chance of a record in existance. Having said that much also depends on when the parish/church commenced recording events and if such records have not been lost or destroyed for one reason or another.

The Griffiths Valuation Index for Carrig Island shows the parish as below and also one only Vaughan.

VAUGHAN, Alexander
    County: Kerry
    Parish: Aghavallen

The parish is now a part of Tarbert in Limerick but the catholic records are still in the hands of the parish priest or at the National Archives Dublin.

Church of Ireland Parish registers for Aghavallen record baptisms from 1872 and marriages from 1811, no deaths/burials indicated.

Catholic parish registers for Aghavallen and Kilnaughten from 1823 but births from 1838-1869 have been lost.

The catholic parish of Aghavallen became known as Ballylongford from 1859 and records can only be viewed with Written permission from the Bishop of Kerry.

Mike.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hello Mike

Thank you so much for the information. MyG2GDad was Charles Vaughan the eldest of 7 children. His father, Ulick Vaughan, was a Ferryman with the Ordnance Board/War Department and had worked for them from about 1810 to at least 1843. At the end at least he was based on Carrig Island. Charles came to England and married an English girl. They were married in a CofE church, so I have assumed that the Vaughans were Church of Ireland. I found Alexander Vaughan through the Griffiths Valuations and that together with the fact that one of Charles' sons, John, used the names Alexander John Vaughan when he got married set me to wondering if Alexander was part of the same family and whether he and others in the family were buried on or near Carrig Island. I have written up as much as I know on my website under Surname stories.
    Thanks again
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan