Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medal Rolls

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    kenhallock

Default Medal Rolls

I have medal rolls for the Coldstream Guards and the King's Own Scottish Borderers for the Boer War. I can do some lookups for those who will furnish a name of a member of either regiment.

Joe Leatham

Default Boer War Medal Rolls

My grandfather's uncle was in the Coldstream Guards in the Boer War. I would very much like to find out more about him. I don't know his regimental number, but is it possible to look him up by name? His name was Albert Latham. If you can find him in the medal rolls I would very much appreciate any information you have. My e-mail address is

[email protected]

kenhallock

Default Latham, A

I'll send reply by e-mail. Ken H

At page 93 of the CG medal roll for the QSA it lists. 600 Private Latham, A.
    and the following clasps for the QSA: Belmont, Modder River, Dreifontein, Johannesburg,
    Diamond Hill and Belfast.

At page 241 the same entries appear for entitlement to the QSA.

I found no entry for the KSA Medal.
    Last edited by kenhallock; 16-08-2006 at 3:29 PM. Reason: Additional

Joe Leatham

Default Boer War Medal Rolls

Thank you very much for your reply - that was the information I was looking for, in particular the regimental number which will help in further research. Do you know of the Asplin Military History website? There is a lot of information on Victorian era military history there. Once again, thank you very much for sending me the information about my relative. I do appreciate it.

ness graham

Question My Great Uncle Lancelot Barnett

Quote Originally Posted by kenhallock
    I have medal rolls for the Coldstream Guards and the King's Own Scottish Borderers for the Boer War. I can do some lookups for those who will furnish a name of a member of either regiment.
    Dear Mr Hallock

I understand you have the medal rolls for the coldstream guards for the boer war Im not sure now i have re read this, i think my gt uncle was too young for the boer war, i think he was in the coldstream guards in WW1.

In WW1 he would be 22yrs old, is he too young for the other africa wars
    the one i have is pvte lancelot barnett reg no. 10564 cold stream guards, motor transport army service corps
    is this the right one
    he was born in Baston, lincs, was living in Bassingham in 1901, his father robert greenfield barnett a retired policeman and his wife emily barnett nee moyes
    any information you could give me would be very much appreciated
    kind regards
    ness graham

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ness graham
    i think my gt uncle was too young for the boer war, i think he was in the coldstream guards in WW1.
    WW1 medal cards are available online via TNA's documents online
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

The South African War was over by 1902.

Geoffers

ness graham

Smile BoeerWar and the medal rolls

Dear Geoffers,
    Thankyou for your speedy reply. Could you tell me if there are any records online for the boer war, my gt uncle william robert barnett was old enought to be in the africa wars and he was definitely missing in the 1891 census he would have been 24 in 1899
    kind regards
    ness graham
    thankyou

kenhallock

Default Barnett in CG

I find a 9553 Pte. R. Barnett and 1746 Pte. F. Barnett and 3896 Pte. J.E Barnett listed in the QSA section and none under the KSA roll. If any of these are of interest I can send the details.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ness graham
    Thankyou for your speedy reply. Could you tell me if there are any records online for the boer war,
    Ther are a couple of sites where some people are listed, the URLs are given in some of the other threads on this forum. To find specific detail about all army presonnel, you basically have to go to TNA at Kew (see the thread on how to find army records for the Boer war). For RN personnel, you can download service records for this period via documents online.

Geoffers

harfin

Question The medal roll details?

Pardon my ignorance, but what sort of information appears on the medal roll?

I have purchased copies of several medal cards that could relate to my father (died 40 years ago), but I don't know his regiment number nor am I sure about the regiment he served in.

If the medal roll give a date of birth, it would help me narrow down the possibilities.

Alan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast