Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medal Rolls

kenhallock

Default Townsend

I'll scan and send JPG files. E-mail notification has also been sent. Ken H

rozgroggins

Default DCM

Hi Geoffers

My grandfather served in the Boer war, supposedly with the Coldstream Guards, and was born in 1873-5. The Coldstream Guards have checked their records for him, but can't find him.

We have wondered since if he changed his name, but he always signed himself Thomas Forde, DCM MM. My uncle doesn't think he served in the 1st world war, but he was injured in the Boer war, and collected a £1 a week pension until he died.

I would be grateful if you could check your list for anybody who received the DCM or the MM, that may fit in with him?

Rosemary

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by rozgroggins View Post
    My grandfather served in the Boer war, supposedly with the Coldstream Guards, and was born in 1873-5. The Coldstream Guards have checked their records for him, but can't find him.
    Hello Rosemary. It's actually Ken Hallock who created the thread and has the roll. However, have you checked TNA's pension records? These are for WW1, but he may have served then.

Have you tried looking for Thomas FORD as well as FORDE?

DCMs should appear in the London Gazette

But don't search on too much - try 'Ford Distinguished Conduct' from 1899-1903

My recollection is that the MM was introduced in 1916 - so he wouldn't have been awarded that for the South African War.

neil1821

The only DCM winner in the Boer War who might possibly fit the bill is 795 Sgt Thomas H.Ford, Army Ordnance Corps, an armourer sergeant attached to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

He appears to have served in WW1 as well.
    Geoffers is right, the military medal (MM) didn't exist before 1916.

Neil

rozgroggins

His name alternated between Ford and Forde, on my mam's birth certificate etc, so it could have been either.

He was born in Ireland, so this Thomas Ford could fit the bill. It would be lovely if it was him, as I've been searching for 17 years, and found nothing so far.

My mam thinks he was in the 1st world war, as he spoke about the trenches, and conditions in them. He used to talk about Winston Churchill a lot apparently, because he was there at the same time as him in the Boer war.

I'll check the medal rolls for him, you never know.
    Thank you both for your help

Rosemary

Lynda Marie

Default Boer War

Quote Originally Posted by kenhallock View Post
    I have medal rolls for the Coldstream Guards and the King's Own Scottish Borderers for the Boer War. I can do some lookups for those who will furnish a name of a member of either regiment.
    Ken, is it possible that these rolls would contain the names of English men sent out from Canada? It is a long shot but I would like to get some information on my ggrandfather who went in 1899 and stayed until 1904. His name is William Thomas Edward Rigglesford and he went by the name of Tom. Most of the papers I have for him are William Thomas. Any help would be appreciated. I am relatively new to this forum and hope that you are still out there as your original post was in 2006.

Lynda
    Last edited by Lynda Marie; 10-01-2008 at 2:35 AM. Reason: used the wrong year

monty276

My grandfather's brother James Hill served with the Coldstream Guards in the Boer War. I would very much like to find out more about him. In WW1 he served with the RE and later with the Labour Corps. His service number then was 74624 (RE) and 337123 (LC) I don't know his regimental number with the Coldstream Guards. If you can find him in the medal rolls I would very much appreciate any information you have. Thank you very much. James Hill (The 8th).

brooksa

Quote Originally Posted by kenhallock View Post
    I have medal rolls for the Coldstream Guards and the King's Own Scottish Borderers for the Boer War. I can do some lookups for those who will furnish a name of a member of either regiment.
    Hi Ken

Although your post was a while ago I do hope you're still checking it.

I've come across a QSA and KSA awareded to Pte G Ellis (Reg no 8818) Colstream Guards. The name's not been mentioned in family circles and I'm trying to find any information that could help me in my search. I'd appreciate any light you could shed.

Thanks

Alistair

fshep

Hi Graham,
    I am also researching Lancelot Barnett - if it's the same one, he married my great grandmother. If you have any research we can share, please email me at fsheppard at tiscali dot co dot uk
    Thanks, Frazer
    Last edited by Jan1954; 27-08-2008 at 6:00 PM. Reason: Email disguised to try to foil the spammers

GeorgeF

Ken,
    I really would appreciate any help you can provide. I am trying to trace a Thomas Gaffney (Coldstream Guards), enlisted Apr 1896 and served 6 years. I understand he had one of the SA War Medals (although I've never seen it) with the following bars; Belmont, Modder River, Dreifontein, Johanesburg and Belfast. I would be interested in obviously any detail you may have but in particular a Regt Number.

Thanks in anticipation

George F

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast