whdsn

Default boer wars 1899-1902 possible death

Hi
    please can someone tell me about the death of T A HODSON who was killed in the boar war.
    I had a Thomas Alfred hodson in my tree but after 1901 i can't find him on any of the BMD records.

SueNSW

The GRO Army Death Indexes covering the period 1896 to 1900 record a 1900 death for a Thomas Arthur Hodson aged 24 stationed at Ladysmith

Cheers
    Sue

Geoffers

Try the web-site - angloboerwar.com -
    On the home page you'll see a search engine. In the first field select surname. In the second field enter HODSON; then click on search.

You'll get two pages of results, you want the second page.

Your chap is near the top of page 2 and recorded as L/Cpl 9125 T A HODSON of the 2nd bn KRRC. He died of enteric at Ladysmith on Christmas Eve 1899.

SueNSW

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Your chap .
    The OP looks to be after a Thomas Hodson with the middle name Alfred - T A Hodson in the death registrations - presumably the same as the one above is recorded as having the middle name Arthur

Could obviously be an error - but hopefully the age might help to pin it down

Cheers
    Sue

whdsn

Thank you Sue and Geoffers for your help. The Thomas you found for me isn't mine. my Thomas is still living in 1901.

Cheers
    Wayne

whdsn

Thomas had a brother who served with the 1st battalion york and lancaster regiment and was on duty in india after 1911.
    I wonder if Thomas served with the same regiment?

Geoffers

Army service records for those who were discharged prior to WW1 are available on the pay-pre-view site 'findmypast'

There is a Thomas HODSON bn 1875, Sheffield who served in the York and Lancaster Regiment (he didn't last long in the regiment), there are other Thomas HODSONs listed.

If your chap continued to serve into WW1, surviving army service records are on the pay-per-view site 'ancestry'

whdsn

Thanks Geoffers
    my Thomas was born 1878 in morrley cheshire. I had a look sometime ago on findmypast but couldn't find him.The other option is, he left England for another country.
    wayne

Geoffers

If you've just lost someone and don't know what happened to him, you might also try:

Census search just by initials (in case he ended up in for example, an institution).

Emigration - passenger lists on findmypast - though earlier records contain less detail so it can sometimes be more difficult to identify individuals

TNA's documentsonline - look for RN and RM records

Did the father of your Thomas leave a will in which he mentions his son?

kaigs

Default TA Hodson

9125 Lance Corporal Thomas Arthur Hodson with the KRR 2 died of enteric fever in Ladysmith 24/12/1899 and is buried at Intombi Camp. His name appears on the following monuments, All Saints Church Ladysmith, Intombi main and Winchester Cathedral
    Regards
    Brian Kaighin