Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medal Rolls

harfin

Question The medal roll details?

Pardon my ignorance, but what sort of information appears on the medal roll?

I have purchased copies of several medal cards that could relate to my father (died 40 years ago), but I don't know his regiment number nor am I sure about the regiment he served in.

If the medal roll give a date of birth, it would help me narrow down the possibilities.

Alan

ness graham

Thumbs up BOER War

Dear Geoffers,
    I Thankyou so much for your help, the R Barnett pte 9553 in the QA section sounds like he could be the right one, the other two i dont know to be honest, Could you tell me what QSA section and KSA is please i have been searching for robert for so long it is really frustrating
    kind regards
    ness graham

ness graham

Thumbs up BOER War

Dear Geoffers,
    I Thankyou so much for your help, the R Barnett pte 9553 in the QA section sounds like he could be the right one, the other two i dont know to be honest, Could you tell me what QSA section and KSA is please i have been searching for robert for so long it is really frustrating
    kind regards
    ness graham

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ness graham
    Could you tell me what QSA section and KSA is please i
    QSA - Queen's South Africa Medal
    KSA - King's South Africa Medal

This last Anglo-Boer war ran until 1902, thus spanning two monarchs. Queen Vic popper her clogs in 1901 when Eddie the Seventh took over the job of monarch.

Geoffers

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by harfin
    Pardon my ignorance, but what sort of information appears on the medal roll?
    There isn't a great deal of in formation in medal rolls. It is mostly a way of confirming a regiment and number and that someone served in a particular campaign.

I have purchased copies of several medal cards that could relate to my father (died 40 years ago), but I don't know his regiment number nor am I sure about the regiment he served in.
    Have any photos of him in uniform survived? Do you know what happened to his medals? (name rank, regt and number should be inscribed around the edge of one of them).

Geoffers

harfin

Default Relying on memory only . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    Have any photos of him in uniform survived? Do you know what happened to his medals? (name rank, regt and number should be inscribed around the edge of one of them).
    Geoffers
    Unfortunately nothing. I only have two photos that include my Dad. Both taken in late life. No trace of any medals. Neither of my older brothers have them either. I migrated to Oz then NZ from the early 1960's and only came back to the UK in the late 90's.

I have two (very hazy) recollections of Dad mentioning his war service. One being that he was in an Irish regiment (his mother was Irish so perhaps there may be something in that). One of the James H Hart's medal cards I have from TNA is for a chap in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

The other recall is that whilst he was recovering in hospital from a shrapnel wounds he was on stage during a performance of Mark Anthony's "Friends Romans, Countryman . . ." speech from Shakespeares Julius Caeser - Dad played Julius Caeser :-)

My brother recalls him saying he served at Gallipoli - and the RDF served at Gallipoli I believe.

Thats all I have!

Alan

JohnCourt

Default Coldstream Guard in 1901

Ken, I have just found out that my GGGFather was a sergeant in the Coldstream Guards in 1893 - and missing in the 1901 census. Is there any chance you could see if you can find him in the Boer War Medal Rolls please?

All I know is that he was called FRANK TOWNSEND, and I am assuming that he was in either the 1st or 2nd bat (as the 3rd hadn't been formed in 1893).

John C

kenhallock

Default Frank Townsend

There is this at page 153 of the QSA roll:
    7292 Corpl. Townsend, F. with the following checked - Belmont, Modder River, Dreifontein, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill and Belfast. With a note under Remarks of "Discharged ( and looks like) T.E 24 ( The rest unreadable.) Also the same entry at page 261. He does not appear under the KSA roll.

Hope that helps. Ken H

JohnCourt

Fantastic, thanks Ken

John

JohnCourt

Is it possible to get an image so that I can try and decypher the missing words? Or is that being too cheeky :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast