Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jeffersj

Default Boer War and Northumberland Fusiliers

Hi
    I am trying to find out if my g/father born 1879, Pte James Miller 9266 1st Northumberland Fusiliers served in the Boer War as he is missing from 1901 census. Originally a miner, he served and died in WW1. I have a black and white photo of him taken circa 1914 in uniform and a medal ribbon is just visible.

The 1st were regular soldiers but he must have re-enlisted for WW1 as he was back in England and was married in 1907.

Geoffers

Welcome to the B-G forums Jeffers with a J

Your chap could well have served in the Boer war.

Do you know, or is there any family knowledge of him having joined the army for a short period to serve in the war in South Africa - left the army and rejoined for WW1? - OR - If he joined the army for the South African (Boer) war and served continuously through to and including WW1?

If he just joined to fight in South Africa and then left - try the army service records (TNA document class WO97) which are available on the pay-per-view site 'findmypast' - There is one entry there for a James MILLER occupation miner on enlistment), bn Chester-le-Street 1879, who served in the Northumberland Fusiliers and was discharged in 1907. His service record and discharge is quite 'colourful'. The service record consists of 6 pages.

James MILLER is unfortunately a name which occurs quite frequently - but try the medal rolls which are on the pay-per-view site 'ancestry'

Is there any mention of your chap in the National Roll of the Great War? - There isn't universal coverage, but still worth a try.

Have a look at the - angloboerwar.com - web-site

jeffersj

Geoffers

Thanks for the rapid response, I wish I had found this site earlier!

I'm afraid I have lost track of James up to 1907 and most family are gone.

The record you have found sounds like the right one so I will follow it up. He married in April 1907 (son James born July 1907!!).

I have details of his WW1 death at the battle of Bellewaarde (Ypres) on 16/06/1915 and his commemoration on the Menin Gate (no war grave).

Cheers

Geoffers

It's well worth a look, I think it mentioned this lad as being the son of William. The details from the CWGC and the 'Soldiers died in the Great War Database' do nothing to suggest the record isn't your chap.

The James found appears to have been a high spirited young man who enjoyed the occasional liquid refreshment and obviously gave officers the impression that he was a member of the Society for the propogation of basic English.............if you now what I mean.

Good luck - let us know if you get stuck reading any part of the service record.

jeffersj

Geoffers

I am convinced it is my James, he was born in Pelton Fell, Chester-le-St, Co. Durham. A mining village and all family were miners. His father is William Miller. I will let you know how I get on but he sounds like a typical miner set free from that terrible occupation and making the most of it. He went on to have 4 children before WW1.

His son James survived WW2 after serving.

Cheers

jeffersj

Geoffers- help

I have tried findmypast.co.uk and subscribed but for some reason each time I try and access the British Army Records to 1913 I am kicked out of the site. Tried allways but it happens every time.
    Can you manage to remember his Army number from that entry in his records to 1907. When he re-enlisted it was 9266 but it may have been different for the earlier service. The 2 James Millers in the Anglo Boer war records just show 2 entries with different army number and little detail.

I would like to see his record.

Cheers

Reputation beyond repute

I am kicked out of the site
    I would advise you to complain to the company. They are reasonably responsive to this sort of complaint.

jeffersj

Problem solved, I had e-mailed them but after several more attempts I finally got in and found the information. thanks to all.

Geoffers

Odd that you had a problem, but I'm glad it's been sorted out.

Shout if you need help

jeffersj

It was strange that I could access all of the other records other than the one I really wanted but finally the page opened. As you said James had a colourful career but what an adventure for a 20 year old miner from a small Durham pit village around 1900! We have just magade trips to Australia and India in the last few years.

I have been unsuccessful in finding James short WW1 record believing that they were destroyed at Kew during WW2. I have come across an excellent web site Bellewaarde 1915 which gives a mass of information about this battle and James was killed there he is on the roll of honour initially missing but declared dead later. The Northumberlands suffered heavy losses that day mainly because of enthusiasm and advancing too fast, in some cases the barrage failed to keep ahead of the troops so he could have been killed by friendly fire!

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast