Pamela Hall

Question Mammott/Maymack of Sudbury

Hi
    Does anyone know anything about the above family? They suddenly appeared there - from who knows where and then just as suddenly disappeared.

The furthest back I have got is Roland MAMMOCK (another variation of the spelling of the name) marrying Ann Baulding in Uttoxeter on 21 June 1691. On the marriage entry it said that Roland was of Wirksworth. Can anyone throw any light on this for me please.

Also I would love to know the origins of the name.

Thanking you

Pam
    Stoke on Trent

Rod Neep

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela Hall
    Hi
    Does anyone know anything about the above family? They suddenly appeared there - from who knows where and then just as suddenly disappeared.
    When Pam? I presume from what you say, that this is an "isolated" family that you have found.

If it is post 1841 that they were there, then one of the censuses might give a clue. Place/County of birth, and occupation. Was it the sort of occupation where one might have moved around, as opposed to a "stayer" such as a farmer.

Did they have children there? Were they married in Sudbury? Where did they marry? That might give a clue to his place of origin, or hers.

Do they appear in any of the county directories?

When did they disappear from Sudbury?
    I ask this because I always try to put sudden events into perspective. e.g. what was happening at the time? What were social conditions like?

For example, in the mid 1800s there was an exodus to the cities for work, or to the USA or Australia, mainly due to mechanisation in agriculture and/or lack of local work.

There are always reasons for moving! (Just as there are today). Our task as family historians is always to ask ourselves WHY. Try to put yourself into their shoes, and figure out why they made the decisions that they did.... and quite often, it leads to the where.

Regards

Rod!